to drink coffee with a ghost, by Amanda Lovelace

kendelr4's review against another edition

Some how this book spoke directly to me. I didn’t think I could relate so well to very niche circumstances but I do. She handled tough issues very well, and put into lovely context. A gorgeous “autumn” boom as well.

- hits on difficult relationships with mothers
- goes through dealing with negative influence in regard to body image
- works through the grief of losing a parent
- utilizes tarot and ghosts throughout the poems (I’m a practicing witch so I loved this incorporation)
- the indescribable bond of a sister

It is “Instagram” poetry (which I typically don’t like), but I still enjoyed the poems and imagery of Amanda Lovelace over the emotional journey of grieving and forgiving.

krys_and_books's review

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
***
Every time I think, I can’t love Amanda Lovelace anymore than I do already.
Every time, I end up a liar.
To drink coffee with a ghost is Amanda’s exploration of her fraught relationship with her mom and finding peace in the good times and bad, and exploring how hard it is to go on afterwards.
I had a good relationship with my mom, but her words still spoke to me for the person I did have a tough relationship with. She spoke to my heart of how hard it is to forgive but want to get to that point. About how perception can change as you get older, how you can look back at that relationship and see it differently now. How sometimes that doesn’t really change the hurt, just how you view it. How we haunt ourselves with all the what if’s, could haves, should haves, and maybes.
I loved this collection and I can’t wait for it to go on sale so I can add it to my poetry shelf where I can bookmark my favorite pages and sink back into the words.

emitaylor7's review against another edition

This was not my favorite. It just didn't move me like Amanda Lovelace's last book in this series. It was still beautifully written and tackles the topic of grief in an honest way. However, I was just disconnected. It could be that I've never experienced a loss like she had. I related so much more to the last book and it packed a killer punch. This one just fell a little flat for me. Still beautiful but not as impactful.

antoniaptl's review against another edition

I was provided an electronic ARC by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

I've loved Amanda Lovelace's previous poetry collections, so I definitely had to read this one! For personal reasons I found myself relating to many of the poems regarding her loss. I wish I could have time to say some stuff to the person I lost as well. I think it's her most personal work, yet. It explores grief, joy, hate, love, toxic relationships in a raw, unapologetic way that completely blew my mind! Her writing is simple, yet so authentic and effortless that resonates with us readers.

Grief is so complicated and grieving someone that has been emotionally and physically abusive to you or your family members is something you cannot get past easily. However, Amanda manages to convey her feelings of brokenness and her traumas so lyrically and that's what makes the book so special. She even takes it a step further by advising the readers to turn their angst during their mourning into art.

All in all, I read this during a time where I needed to hear Amanda's words and her poetry helped me a lot. I will definitely be buying a copy of her book! And I do encourage anyone that loves modern poetry full of honest emotions and a feminist point of view to read this one!

of_words_and_a_mess's review against another edition

I wanted to read this book since last year and I finally read it and I don't know how to feel about it.
This is such a raw and heartbreaking book but somehow by the end of it you feel complete.
It's hard to describe it but it's a really really beautiful written book

vikidoki's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

marzipanskies's review against another edition

I could deeply relate. The poems were mostly short, but beautiful. I was close to tears

kfanni28's review

chills.
Thanks to Netgalley and the author for letting me read this piece of art.

I read this poetry collection in a very short amount of time, but let me state that it gave me enough to think about for days. I teared up, this is so important.

The Trigger Warnings section in the front reminded me that maybe literature today is headed in the right direction, with more and more authors including them in their works. I count myself fortunate for being able to start anything without even worrying about what's inside.
This fact and the book reminded me how fortunate I really am. For having parents who support me, and not having lost anyone really close to me, for having a relatively easy time while others have it terribly hard.

to drink coffee with a ghost made me think about how crucial it is to think twice before you talk: to avoid affecting those who look up to you in a harmful way.
Words hold endless power. As someone studying psychology, considering myself an empathic person, and trying my way of spiritualism I am well aware of how much it matters.

Please take care of others. Please be careful yourself.

The author showed me how much has happened to her and I rooted for her to get that happy ending, because some cases you just know that someone's a good person and they deserve it.

The art work in this poetry collection is absolutely gorgeous. Witchcraft, tarot and COFFEE are incredibly important things to me which means that I felt an even stronger connection to this on top of everything.

I'm so grateful to have been able to read it.

nyreese's review

dark emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

kassy25's review against another edition

This poetry book really packs a punch, this book discusses grief on the loss of a mother along with family trauma. Amanda Lovelace writes about serious topics in way that makes readers understand and relate to her.