Artemis Made Me Do It, by Trista Mateer

breezy_bri's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

whatistaylorreading's review

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

bookedwithgloria's review

I have the same complaints as most women before me.
I have been romanticized, mythologized, separated from myself and then pieced back together so many times no one remembers the truth of who I am.
There are so many versions of me.
Not even I recognize all of my faces.

This book, just like the previous one, Aphrodite Made Me Do It, found me at a time that I really needed to hear the words that were written down. The way the author just finds a way to make you feel safe and heard and just that you aren't alone. Seriously I devoured and will continue to read if she makes more in this series. ♥

What if my entire personality is made of trauma responses and coping mechanisms? What if I’m too tired to try to get better?

krisreadstt's review

This collection is in one word, magical. This is one that you consistently go back and read through over and over because the poetic words seem to hit new meanings every time you go over it. It's almost timeless in the sense that you feel a different emotion every time. I really enjoyed these poems.
I loved the graphics and illustrations that go along with the poems. They bring a sense of authenticity. The parallels drawn between modern day women and the goddess really shows that the struggle of women is a timeless issue that persists.
Overall I really enjoyed it.

rayrace's review

dark emotional reflective sad fast-paced

michaelgreenreads's review

dark emotional hopeful fast-paced

Picked this up at the library solely because I now know an Artemis in my life (♥️)

First, I must say this book has a fantastic print budget — the paper feels unreal, there are high quality multimedia images and collages and everything is so glossy and nice.

The poetry itself is like a premium tumblr feed - she is aiming for simple truths told in devastating ways, not the pulitzer in poetry. There is a lot of rage in these poems for survivors of sexual violence and patriarchy, there is also hope with a sprinkling of references to Artemis as a muse/survivor/hunter.

The poetry is not always surprising, but when it is, it is great! Recommended for anyone hurt in need of a good poem. 👍

magerman's review

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

genrejourneys's review

Rating: 4/5
(Gifted a copy on NetGalley in exchange for a review)

“Artemis Made Me Do It” is a solid collection of poems invoking themes of trauma and recovery, rage, and divinity by Trista Mateer.

The book is lovely, with integrations of collages and art to help center and drive the narrative. It switches between Artemis and the Poet’s POVs as they tackle different but thematically linked problems from women turning into bears and difficult relationships with mothers. The middle section is by far the strongest and Mateer’s poetry on rage and family had real heart to them. There’s a glossary up from to help those newer to Greek Mythology, which was wonderful.

The poems occasionally fall into tropes that are, while not bad, fairly standard with the topics and pull the work as a whole short. There is also a running pattern of tarot cards which, while never badly done, did feel underutilized.

“Artemis Made Me Do It” was a good read with several poems being clear standouts. I was glad to dip my toes into Mateer’s poetry!

threeara's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

This book feels heavier, more specific, and stronger than the first in the series. Very cool to see how Matter is increasing the use of textures and blending art pieces with writing even further in this one.

allysunsun's review

This is a really good collection of poetry that uses mixed media to really push the point home. I hadn't read the first book in this collection but definitely need to now! I look forward to more from Trista Mateer in the future!

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!