Babylon's Ashes, by James S.A. Corey

amyc00per's review against another edition

I love a good Expanse novel as much as the next girl. But this one was... boring? Yes, it was. I found myself doubting this for the first third of the book, thinking surely I was reading it while distracted or something. Yet now after completing it I can confirm its fundamental boringness. Here are some of the problems of this book:

- nothing happens 90% of the time. Very little action. Disappointing because these books are usually actiontastic explodaganzas. The many scenes where people just talk to each other are themselves pretty slow.
- there is no character development of anyone except Filip, who is a deeply unlikeable character you just want to shake and tell to grow up. This is so disappointing because a strength of the fifth novel was all the character development of people like Naomi, Alex, and Amos. Here, they are all empty husks of characters. Even Avasarala, Bobby, and Clarissa have zero character development and they are all potentially very interesting characters. Also, nobody is funny in this book. Why is that?
- James Holden’s role as universe saver is pretty tired at this point. Can’t another character play the predominant role in saving the universe? Actually, bobby and Naomi both played integral roles in saving the universe this time, but somehow the authors framed the narrative as if Holden were the big man... again.

That’s about all I have to say about this book. More than it deserves I’m sure. This books disappointment wasn’t enough to stop me from reading the next one, though.

enigme's review against another edition

One day there will be a time when non-Russian speaking authors will stop putting Tolstoy in the hand of every character speaking Russian or of Russian heritage. I believe in that day.

gabija's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

petermisak's review against another edition

First half of the book was a bit slow, and given the fact that we get so many points of views this time (this one is considerably more complicated than the previous books in these regards) it also was not exactly an easy read.
On the positive side, I agree with the other reviewers, who found the writing style improved when compared to the previous books in the series. Last 1/3 of the book was much faster and the ending — albeit naïve — was quite intense and page-turning experience.

foxmulders's review

adventurous dark sad tense medium-paced

Spoilermaybe, if they could find a way to be gentle, the stars would be better off with them.

grumpwizard's review against another edition

Probably my least favorite of the 6 main novels so far. Still good as it moves the character forward, but it was kind of anticlimactic as a war book.

jimgosailing's review against another edition

The series keeps me hooked since it is well written, the main characters are engaging, and from my limited knowledge the science is realistic.

I just let the story wash over me as I read it; with this one, if I think about the politics of what has happened and how various groups are reacting, it doesn’t seem to hold up as well.

slugabed's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

squidlings's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

dithkusu's review against another edition

4.5 stars? First read of the new year, off to a pretty good start. I never seem to end up finishing the books I've put on my currently reading list- I somehow pick up a random tbr book and end up immersed in it, while being unable to sluggishly get through my intended pick to read. Such a mood reader. Better review to come, hopefully.