Babylon's Ashes, by James S.A. Corey

cgoiris's review against another edition

The ending felt a bit rushed, but I like where this is headed. Not sure how they're going to rewrite the series to leave Fred Johnson out of this one, but we'll see.

woahno's review against another edition

This is the first book in the series that I have read that takes place after the events in the show. It felt like a big moment when I started reading this installment but I don't know if it is or not now. After finishing the novel it just feels... pretty much how it always does.

Moving on, this is the Marco Inaros part two book. The showdowns with the Free Navy continue and the moments and stakes are raised. I praised the last book for focusing on the crew of the Roci, this book is rather different in format to that. Here we have the most point of views so far in the series with nineteen different ones. This is something that I think would only really work for me this far into a series. I'm already invested in most of these POVs so when it jumps around from one to the next I don't feel lost or upset that I’m not getting to see my favorite characters. Shoot, they brought back one of my personal favorites in Prax! But really, it was characters like him that shined in this novel, the ones with only a couple of chapters. Avasarala, Bobbie, and Prax stole the show for me. Though, I was predictably disappointed by not having more Amos scenes.

Babylon's Ashes also brought more wide ranging elements of the plot back into the fold. These set up a ton of potential for the next book. I have no idea where this series and these characters are going to go from here as there are a ton of possibilities I can see working. All I know is that I am here for it. These books have been amazing so far and I hope to catch up for the release of Leviathan Falls later this year.

wmhenrymorris's review against another edition

Five stars may be an over-reaction, but I don't care. This is the purest expression of the ethos, setting and characters of the series and so is a lot of fun (and feels).

chumpapagwa's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

neladon's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful tense fast-paced

krickster's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

dith_kusu's review against another edition

4.5 stars? First read of the new year, off to a pretty good start. I never seem to end up finishing the books I've put on my currently reading list- I somehow pick up a random tbr book and end up immersed in it, while being unable to sluggishly get through my intended pick to read. Such a mood reader. Better review to come, hopefully.

z523's review against another edition

This book picked up right where the last book dropped off. It almost felt like a mini-series within the series. I like how Holden’s crew got a little bit bigger with the addition with one of my favorite characters. It would have been nice for more of their interactions.

Marko was a bit of a let down. After practically destroying the Earth in the previous book with a grand and brilliant scheme, he proceeds to do little else but run away and chase after his ex-girlfriend in vengeance. The end of Marko, while creative and fit with the story, was a bit too deus ex machina for my tastes.

Overall, still loving the series. On to the next one!

derpfeelings's review

adventurous emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

mike_word's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

Less happens than in the previous books of the series.