Tell Me I'm Worthless by Alison Rumfitt

fox_bug's review

dark mysterious tense

WOWWWW OH WOW OK NASTY BAD NASTY😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧😧 HARD READ BUT UNFORTUNATELY THE HORROR WAS QUITE GOOD

mar253's review against another edition

challenging dark tense medium-paced

gjenn's review

dark slow-paced

readbyashleyd's review against another edition

dark emotional tense fast-paced

I don’t even know where to begin with this book because I just fucking loved it so much. Before you get into it, fair warning, there are so many possible triggers here so make sure you’re in a good head space when you read this. That being said, I think this might be my favourite book I’ve read so far this year and I’ll read anything that this author puts out. The whole book just ripped my heart out, ripped it to shreds and stomped on it and it hurt so fucking good. It’s a dark and gritty story and it turns the typical haunted house trope into something I’ve never seen before and it’s absolutely brilliant. Multiple times I had to put the book down and compose myself because it just made my damn skin crawl! Honestly, I could go on and on about this book but just read it for yourself. It’s absolutely worth it.

hollywouldread's review

Have you ever seen post modern theatre (or a really wanky art house film) and thought both “wtf” and “I think I’m just to stupid to understand this metaphor” ???

This is that, but a novel.

brownsugar39's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

hanxue's review

god. that was an experience of a lifetime. this book was kinda genius and i’m so glad i read it. incredibly fucked up and gory and disturbing but at the same time sort of beautiful. the main characters are the types of characters most authors are afraid to write about, both of them incredibly flawed and problematic yet you still love and sympathize with them while at the same time hating them because they’re so human and relatable in their own ways. i just hope everyone who starts this book reads till the end because that ending was what made this book as incredible as it is.
i’m obsessed with this book and i’ve added it to my all time fave books instantly!

sterrenkijker's review

Idk what I just read. And idk how to rate it. I can't say I liked it

Edit: okay I've thought about it some more. Despite the fact that this book keeps bashing you over the head that yes, it is about fascism, I can't figure out what the Point of it is. Is it about a house that turns you into a Nazi? Is it about online cancel culture? Is it about the fact that the TERF main character ends up being a trans man in the end (?? bad!! bad writing choice!)? I like a good haunted house, I really do - I'm currently writing a haunted house story myself. I love a house that fucking sucks. But when you strip away the flat characters, this book read like a laundry list of internet discourse talking points. Topping all of that off with very triggering transphobic language, and it ends up barely being two stars for me.

shaeg77's review

I don’t think I’m smart enough to understand this book. It was above my head but there was some very creepy parts.

mudlizard's review against another edition

the premise is ambitious but the execution and writing are a bit of a slog. willing to see what her other work is like though.