Los sonámbulos, by Chuck Wendig

annemariemulksibb's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I loved this book. It was gripping from the first chapter. Halfway through the book (which is like 16hours in), I found that even with everything that had already happened, the story wasn't even at its peak of all the bad things that were to come.
The book did not end in any of the ways I anticipated. I am looking forward to starting Wayward. I can imagine that it will continue to surprise.

Also, any book narrated by Xe Sands is totally worth the listen.

sarah_mcd's review against another edition

Originally I rated this a 3.5 rounded to 4 but after talking about it. I'm rounding down to 3. I enjoyed most of it until the ending.

The book takes a sharp turn in the middle. If you like The Stand by Stephen King, you'll enjoy most of this book. The ending ruined it.

lunarmagi42's review against another edition

balt_immortal's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

jobis89's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

thesillyoldbear's review against another edition

I've been a fan of Chuck Wendig for a while now, both his fiction and as an online personality. I've also been waiting eagerly waiting for this book for months, as have many others. So it's kinda hard to have to give this book such a low rating.

Let me be clear, 99% of this book was absolutely amazing. The premise was sound, the characters believable and easy to be sympathetic toward. Hell, even the ending was solid, strange.

But then there was that whopping great big assault scene that served no purpose other than establish threat. Threat that could be — and mostly already was — established in other ways. It's a lazy trope, and I'm mad as hell that he used it.

But maybe we should hear about the use of it as a trope from the man himself:

"But it is a reason not to rely on it as a creepy, shitty, trite trope. It’s important to realize that this thing is used again and again in fiction. Particularly in the SFF genre. It’s not treated as serious. It’s treated as a “plot device.” There’s no gravity to it. It’s like horrible wallpaper."

It seems that Mr. Wendig is more a "do as I say, not as I do" type than the example setting type, as he would have us believe.

If none of that bothers you, you'll probably like this immensely. Honestly I wish I could have, especially with how much it had going for it otherwise.

christiek's review against another edition

DNF'd at 32% This is fine, but I wasn't super engaged, so didn't want to spend another 20+ hours on it.

bodger's review against another edition

So far my top contender for favourite book of this year's reads.

Apocalypse fiction with science fiction elements. A believable cast of characters, and a narrative that keeps you reading and wraps up at the end.

800+ pages, but well worth a read.

marieakeith's review against another edition

Overall, well constructed novel and I enjoyed the AI twist on the classic pandemic ends humanity sci-fy story. Many plotlines were relevant considering the current state of the world, however multiple plotlines fell flat for me. 800 pages was certainly an overkill, but glad I finished as the last 300ish pages were good

jakewjerrard's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad tense fast-paced