The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

lauramf05's review against another edition

turritowrap's review against another edition

S- TIER

gnidaer_ekil_i's review against another edition

adventurous sad tense slow-paced

stefi_a's review against another edition

adventurous challenging inspiring slow-paced

oxnard_montalvo's review against another edition

This was good times, filled with character deaths that broke my heart and plenty of swashbuckling action. I want more from this world.

The story suffers a little bit from some clumsy sounding ye olde tyme speak that I get is meant to emulate the medievalish setting, but doesn’t quite hit true and seems a little twee.
This might just be a trope of the genre, but there were a few deus ex machina moments that got the heroes to the ‘next level’ is ways that were super convenient and not particularly likely. I have a problem with them generally, but also accept sometimes thats just how the story progresses; if the protagonist doesn’t have a mysterious past that somehow connects them to the events of today well then the story wouldn’t exist.

This has rekindled my interest in fantasy A bit more deeply than I thought Name of the Wind was going to. Definitely recommend.

kamssup's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

strawberry_femme's review against another edition

Priory of the Orange Tree:

May 11, 2022
Rant about Priory:
I'm on part 2. I love Tane's dragon and their relationship so much. I ship Ead and Sabran so so much they're so cute together. Sabran called Ead beautiful!!! Ead protects Sabran. Ugh I want them to date so bad. Sabran's husband died, i never liked him but he and sabran were cute. TRUYDE KILLED THE PRINCE GUY. WHAT A PLOT TWIST

May 12, 2022
NO! OH MY GOSH NO. SUSA WAS KILLED. NO NO NO. I LITTERALLY CRIED WHEN SUSA DIED. NO NO NO SHE WAS SO SWEET. POOR TANE. NOOO. SO MANY EMOTIONS

May 26, 2022
IM.SCREAMING. MY GAY SHIP SET SAIL IN THE BOOK IM READING. THEYRE SO CUTE. SO MUCH SEXUAL TENSION.EAD IS LIKE "LET THE HATERS COME WITH THEIR FIRE. FIRE IS MY FRIEND. I WOULD JUMP INTO A THOUSAND FURNACES FOR THE WOMAN I LOVE. "very 'us against the world' type vibes

May 28, 2022
Finished part 2. Taking a break because I need to process all of this. EAD LEFT. I GET IT WAS FOR SABRAN'S SAFETY. Also I really don't like the hawk secret guy who gets the messages sent because he somehow knew about ead and sabran. *frustrated gay screams*

July 12, 2022
Priory part 3 thoughts so far: Ead LEFT her gf and the kingdom because someone knew about them and now there are more threats against the queen and Ead is back home and I don't like the leader person there and she is trying to ask the leader to help her gf, the queen, and no one knows they are a thing and she's just over her panicking that her gf found someone else already. It's a lot oh my gosh.

June 23, 2022
Priory part 3 final thoughts: ead LEFT the priory with loth. They are heading home to Inys. Tane has some sort of moonstone in her body that came out so is trying to figure out that. Still don't like Nicolys

July 21, 2022
Priory part 4 thoughts so far: EAD AND SABRAN DID IT.OMG AHHH. I NEDD TO TAKE A BREAK. SO MANY EMOTIONS SO MICH HAPPENING GAHHH SABRAN NOW KNOWS WHO EAD REALLY IS AND SJE STILL WANTS EAD

September 16, 2022
Finished part 4:
-MY BRAIN IS OVERLOADED
-ead better not die
-adore sabran and ead
-love loth still
-Meg is getting married!!!
-loath Nicolays
-miss tane
-can't cry because I finished part 4 at work
-need to take a break before continuing this work

demievrything's review

Dieses Buch wurde ja sehr gehypt und auch in meinem direkten Umfeld hatten einige "The Priory of the Orange Tree" bereits gelesen und es empfohlen.
Ich fand die Welt, die Charaktere und den Schreibstil faszinierend aber gerade am Anfang auch schwer zu folgen. Ich bin kein Fan von Glossaren, Zeitlinien und Personenregister, wenn diese wichtig für das Verständnis der Geschichte sind, da mich umher blättern immer sehr aus der Geschichte reißt und ich das dann lieber lasse.
Nach dem ersten Teil (ca. 150 Seiten) war ich aber voll in der Geschichte angekommen und habe mitgefiebert und war gespannt, wo die Geschichte hinführen und wie sich alles auflösen wird.

Leider kam dann im letzten Viertel noch einmal ein Teil, in dem ich wieder etwas verwirrt war (jedoch deutlich weniger, als am Anfang!) und mir teilweise zu schnelle Sprünge in der Handlung waren.

Insgesamt ein tolles Fantasy-Buch, das ich gerne weiterempfehle.
Durch die anfänglichen Probleme gibt es jedoch einen Stern Abzug.

Edit:
Nach etwas Überlegung gibt es trotz der kleinen Kritik 5 Sterne, da ich gemerkt habe, dass ich über 500 der 830 Seiten innerhalb des Wochenendes gelesen habe und total die Zeit vergessen habe.

theatreanddogs's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

knotmeg's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced