The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

hriventari's review against another edition

WOW. I never, in my entire life, was so angry and sad at the same time while reading a book. Never a book made me feel what I felt while reading The Hate U Give.

THIS is a masterpiece.
THIS is a must read!

Words can’t explain... just read it!

sugaringhoney's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

soupisreading's review against another edition

"That's the hate they give us, baby, a system designed against us. That's Thug Life."

The Hate U Give is an important read. Especially with the numerous cases of police brutality. I recommend you to read it before the movie comes out. Of course, if you aren't a reader, watching to movie is good too but there's only a few parts that could be captured in 2.5 hours.

It was a funny yet heart-breaking read. Some moments me want to cheer, some made me ugly cry. (It happened in the college library but luckily there was no one around.) There was even a chapter that made me boil with rage. Although this book is considered fiction, it felt way too close to reality because I believe somewhere in this world, it is happening.

Thomas writes about a community. A group of people who has each others' backs but there's also some threats from the local drug lord. It shares the duality of the people from the hood. My most favourite part would definitely be the part where there were many people who supported the case, using social media as a platform to get your thoughts known. The voice is a tool. Combined with social media to gain support, it's a powerful tool.

I also loved the tiny details in the book such as minorities working together and the issue of friendships in this story. Race is a very important thing, it's a sense of belonging to a group and we can also share and relate to one another's pain through it. For Starr, a Black girl attending school in a White neighbourhood, she is bound to face a sense of unbelonging. She starts to realise the offensive things her friends say that she used to disregard. Making her question her friendship and relationship with her White boyfriend, Chris.

Furthermore, police brutality is one of the main themes in the book. It is terrible since they are the ones who we trust to protect us. Who can we turn to when the ones who are supposed to protect us turn against us? There's of course, two sides to everything. Despite her lack of trust in the police after what happened, her uncle is a Black policeman and he is willing to risk it all for justice.

This review was first published on my blog, https://skavansieur.blogspot.com/2018/10/review-hate-u-give.html

complexion's review against another edition

lisagriffioen's review against another edition

Liked it overall, but felt a little over the top sometimes. It’s a pretty sad story overall ans I felt like sometimes the familymoments were a little too happy...

ughsickles's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring sad

caroline_w06's review against another edition

informative inspiring tense medium-paced

lnbarone's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

evacarter03's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

vitomartineztarigo's review against another edition

Destrozó mi corazón