The Invisible Library, by Genevieve Cogman

rankkaapina's review against another edition

I really liked this book. It was a fast read for me. But in the end I'm somewhat disappointed. I kind of expected from the premise that I would LOVE this book, which is the reason for the disappointment. I think my problem is that I love character driven books and I would say that even though the characters aren't one-dimensional or anything, this felt more like a short introduction and I kind of wanted more. There was a lot happening and I guess the plot was more important to the book, but I always prefer character driven books to plot driven ones. Definitely checking out the next book too, though. I did give 4 stars, though, cause I think that that's what I would've thought without my expectations.

*****
Edit 11.8.2016: I came upon a review that summed up what was bothering me about this book. So, I ended up taking one star away and most likely won't go to the next book. I won't be listing the reasons here, rather here is the link.

msroark's review against another edition

Only a three but I have hopes that the next one will better!

tarabyt3's review against another edition

A little rushed, but it was a nice fluffy sort of read with a little bit of action, adventure, and the barest hint of romance. I'd definitely like to read the next.

ladylegerwood's review against another edition

In which there is a heroine who loves books ...

jaredmuehlbauer's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

ssaurer's review

adventurous fast-paced

books_and_keys's review against another edition

I wanted to love this one as a book lover, but I honestly didn't like anything about it.

dcheers's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

An enjoyable enough read, I liked the premise, the world building, and the characters to an extent, however I found some of the character dialogue, decision making, and descriptions a bit jarring and overly romantisized and out of place.

Though it wasn't a complete page turner, I am still looking forward to seeing what is next for the characters and continuing on in the series!

parnassusreads's review against another edition

Quick, fun, escapist read for those who love books and reading about books. I liked the book well enough to want to read the second in the series.

emmyb's review against another edition

fast-paced

WHY is this book not more popular?? This book is like the love child of The Infernal Devices, A Darker Shade of Magic, and The Atlas Six. It had Victorian London, travel between alternate worlds, a secret society involving a library, books, and magic. It had the type of fae I enjoy--the cunning, evilly seductive, manipulative kind. It had steampunk vibes and a fight/balance between magic and technology. It was also very fast-paced and plot-driven, with twists and turns throughout. All the things I love.