The Invisible Library, by Genevieve Cogman

sophonax's review against another edition

This is the second time that I have attempted to read this book, I got a little further this time before giving up. The descriptions are just too wordy, and too numerous. It feels like every single thing has to be explained in a rambling manner as soon as it is encountered. I thought perhaps being thrown into the first event of the book half way through with an introduction to the character, all of the different magical being types, the schooling system, the librarians magic all squeezed in alongside it. It felt too rushed and too Secret Seven.

kermittuesday's review against another edition

Everything I like- libraries and books, detective work, a bit of magic, and a vaguely British setting.

eek5445's review against another edition

Action-packed, interesting world(s). Looking forward to the next one.

heregrim's review against another edition

Librarian spys who steal unique literature to maintain balance in alternate worlds....This might be the most unique world building I have ever read. The story is well written and the characters distinct and unique (yes I have said that word three times-demerit me). The plot was fascinating and by the end I was into the world and story, but something (the uniqueness) kept me a little separate for truly burying myself in it. I am sure I will return to the world and might have to adjust my rating then.

laurizzie's review against another edition

This was super fun. Can't wait to read more of the series.

timbooksin's review against another edition

I wanted to like this book more than I did, it being about librarians after all. The overarching concept is delivered solidly. I think the world-building could have done without vampires or dragons; too much for one story. My biggest challenge was connecting with any of the characters. It took an intense plot twist about halfway through for me to really engage. I ended up liking how quickly it moved but would have loved more literary interventions. I might pick up the second book to see how if things improve.

shell132001's review against another edition

thebibliophilegirl's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

geeky_erin's review against another edition

Rounded up from 3.5 stars. A light, fun read for someone who enjoys magic, alternate worlds, fairies, dragons, books, and libraries and perhaps used to daydream about being a librarian who could travel to alternate worlds righting wrongs and finding books. Looking forward to the continued adventures!

crispinsday's review against another edition

This had an intriguing concept, but it was squandered with a strangely limited setting and a tedious plot. It features repetitive exposition, weak characters, badly drawn and frustrating relationships (particularly between the heroine and her former mentor) and nonsensical villains. There are a few special effects showpieces which might have been entertaining if the pacing was better or I cared about the characters. As it was, I was so bored and irritated by the book that I only finished it out of stubborness.