My Storied Year, by Katie Proctor, Twyla Beth Lambert

addierr's review

I absolutely loved this book! It tells the story of a young boy in middle school who has a difficult home life. He struggles in school at first, but with the love and care of his teachers, he is able to open up and express his feelings through his writing.
This really shows how schools and teachers should impact children. It’s a heartwarming story.

rachelkohlb's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

nobookendinsight's review

emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

goolsbybloom's review

Everybody has a story worth sharing, but does everybody take the time to listen?

In My Storied Year, Katie Proctor gives us the story of Dragon Stewart, a seventh grade boy who struggles with dyslexia, bullies, a weird sister, social services, and his mother’s illness.
He believes that he will never be enough. (Spoiler: He’s wrong.)
This inspiring journey through Dragon’s year will leave you heartbroken. It will also give you tremendous joy (I had goosebumps).

This is a middle grade book, but I believe that everyone should read it, especially educators. Adults are meant to inspire, mentor, and LISTEN to children.
Dragon Stewart is fortunate enough to have these heroes in his life, and I am too.

literallyreadingmor's review

Thank you to Katie and her publishing team for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review; but also, thank you for writing this book!

I will say, this book was nothing like my seventh grade year - but I wish it was! There’s a library in the classroom, amazing teachers and principals, and many many professionals who know how to look out for a kid. There was also a ton of creative writing time, which I always wish I was given more of in school.

Dragon has dyslexia, and he also has trauma that interferes with a lot of his daily life. This book explores his seventh grade year, as Dragon battles hardships at school and at home.

mindybrouse's review

Want to read a middle grade book about a boy who had more common than we think problems, cares for his family, loves poetry, and just needs people to see him? Want to read a book that will stick with you? Want to read a book that makes you want to hug people from you last and be a better person on the future? Then, this is the book for you!

brookesbooks_and_dogs's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

alittleoverdue's review

When your life is in boxes, there’s nothing like a good book to squeeze in reading between packing! I read this one amidst packing last month & I’m still thinking about it. It’s such a touching story perfect for any young aspiring writer. It gives a thoughtful, yet not stereotypical depiction of a character with dyslexia (a topic I haven’t seen much in middle grade). This book is a great step stone for conversations about empathy and learning differences. I loved the characters (we all need school administrators like the one in this book). Get it for you, your kid, your library. I am grateful to have gotten a free egalley to read in advance. Thank you Katie for such a heartfelt story that I’m excited to tell everyone about.

jessieweaver's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

craftyerin's review

Dragon is 7th grader struggling with learning disabilities, poverty, an abusive past, and a present that borders on neglect. He struggles to fit in with his classmates, worries about his home life, and is frustrated by the difficultly he has in school--except for writing.

In this beautiful middle grade debut by (my friend!) Katie Proctor, Dragon finds himself supported and loved well by his teachers, administrator, classmates, and family. His English teacher coaches him to use writing to connect with his mom and work through some of the trauma in his past.

This book is not all roses! Dragon is accurately depicted as angry and explosive, even at times destructive. His dirty clothing and perceived stupidity make him a target of bullying. But Dragon grows throughout the novel, and will certainly capture your heart as he does so.

My own 12yo son is dyslexic and has been so excited to read Katie's book when it came out. I chose to read it myself first, but now I cannot WAIT to share it with him. I suspect it will be a new favorite.