Ignite Me, by Tahereh Mafi

mayapapaya_tf's review

i really liked this one my feelings for the characters grew whether it be hatred(Adam) or love(everyone except adam especially kenji and warner) i really want restore me now also i ship juliette and warner so frickin much they are everything and wow aaron what a man

bmgoodyear's review against another edition

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

You've been warned. Sorry. I simply had too much to say.

Yes, I ended this with a smile on my face. But for all the wrong reasons. I was smiling because I would no longer have to subject myself to reading more of these books in hopes that they’ll finally start being worth the time and in hopes it’ll start giving me the answers I’ve yearned for. The end did not give me all of those answers but whatever, I’m done with it.

Let’s talk about Adam. I touched on this in my review of Fracture Me but I’m feeling the need to discuss it further because I clearly missed the part where Adam got hit in the head with a semi and all his brain pieces got jiggled around causing him to transform into a completely different person. That happened, right? Because that’s the only excuse I’m willing to accept. I can’t for one second buy that this has been Adam’s ‘true self’ this whole series because he did a complete 180 from anything I’ve come to expect from him. Ohhhhhh… maybe he was abducted by aliens? I might be willing to accept that too. But seriously, he’s supposed to care about Juliette. I could understand some animosity between the two since they did break up but he still claims to care about her. Something tells me you’re confused.

“[...] Adam-I’m not stupid-”
“Are you sure?”
“What?” I can’t believe he just insulted me.
“I asked you if you were sure,” he snaps. “Because you’re acting pretty damn stupid right now [...]“

or

“No-you don’t understand anything,” he snaps. “You don’t understand me, you don’t understand yourself and you don’t understand that you’re acting like a stupid child [...]“

or

“I was happier,” Adam says, “when I thought she was dead.” [...] He finally looks at me. “Thinking you were dead,” he says to me, “was so much better. It hurt so much less than this.”

You get the picture. What made it even worse was there were people standing around while all this is going on. Listening to him verbally abuse her again and again. Kenji KIND OF sticks up for her but for the most part they let him rant and rave and treat her like she’s a piece of trash. Hello? You just going to let that happen? I kept reading in hopes that either someone (or Juliette) would finally stand up to the prick and say:

Now onto Warner. Let’s talk about the fact that every time he called Juliette ‘love’ he only succeeded in making himself sound like a pretentious blowhard. I mean seriously, unless you’re British I don’t think you can really get away with calling anyone ‘love’ and since there was no reference to his British-ness then pretentious blowhard it is. Warner becomes Mr. Perfect in Ignite Me because the love triangle problem needed to be solved suddenly every issue is revealed to have been one giant misunderstanding this entire time!

“…do not presume to understand my actions. [...] Because if you do, I can assure you you’ll only be met with disappointment. And if you insist on continuing to make assumptions about my character, I’ll advise you only this: assume you will always be wrong.”

Yes, so basically he was maintaining pretenses this entire time. Naturally. But it was pretty ridiculous that he managed to be as shocked as he was that Juliette thought so little of him. Because really what did he expect? Oh, he just shot his soldier in the head. It was seemingly done for no legit reason. Oh, he just almost made me kill a baby. No explanation given. She was really supposed to surmise that it was all a simulation? Add to that there were so many other things that Warner did do wrong yet because all of his larger misdeeds were explained and forgiven everything else was brushed under the rug? No bueno.

And as a side note, how come we’re ignoring the fact that the only reason he even knows Juliette is because he stole her extremely personal diary? It’s not like they spent quality time together having conversations and getting to know one another. He literally knows nothing about this girl that he claims to love other than what was written in the pages of her diary. And what a terrible invasion of privacy! Even when she tries to take it back from him he claims he’s not done reading and promptly takes it from her again.

I’ve never been Team Adam or Team Warner because I don’t do teams, sorry. But I didn’t expect Adam to start acting completely out of character for no legitimate reason and I didn’t expect a nice, neat resolution to redeem Warner for all his wrong doing. It just felt like a quick resolution and was the ultimate of cop-outs.

Fairly exciting stuff finally starts happening in the last like, 75 pages. They’re going to battle and Juliette is acting like a total badass and I’m loving it. I understand Juliette needed to develop in order to become this newly empowered individual but the last 75 pages of the last book in the trilogy?? Too. Freaking. Late. And that’s what upset me the most and what caused my rock bottom rating: those final pages afforded me a glimpse of what could have been. It was exciting and thrilling with characters I really enjoyed. It made me dislike the other 1,000 or so pages of this series even more than I already did. It could have been an awesome ending to a trilogy and while it was admittedly the best part of the entire series for me, it was still incredibly rushed. If the ending wasn’t quite so rush, if Adam’s character hadn’t been completely razed, if there was more focus on the craziness of the world and not the craziness of Juliette’s ridiculous love-life this could have been an impressive series. If, if, if. I know. But those last pages did showcase the potential that Mafi has and regardless of my opinion of this book or the overall series as a whole I would not be against giving her future novels a shot. I can only hope and pray that the exciting bits happen much, much sooner.

strawberryjamz's review

This was definitely my favorite out of this series. It was very fast paced and I loved the relationships that were built.

dimaethor's review

Hello 911? I'd like to report a murder
This was such a rollercoaster of emotions! Juliette's character development was absolutely amazing

- - - - -

“I am no longer afraid of fear, and I will not let it rule me. Fear will learn to fear me.“

“He leans into my ear. Lowers his voice. “Ignite, my love. Ignite.”“

armiles713's review

I've been trying to think of series where the last book is my favorite, and to be totally honest, there really aren't that many. But this book was absolutely 100% the best thing ever for this series. I LOVED every single moment of it. I had to stay awake until 3 in the morning just so I could finish it. This may be a minor spoiler, but nothing broke my heart, made me cringe more than necessary, turned nice characters, created overly awkward situations (except what would be expected, and even those weren't too bad), and it didn't even rush anything unrealistically fast! Perfection, absolute perfection. Except in looking up this book to write this review, I have learned that "Ignite Me" is not, in fact, the last book in the series, a fourth book is coming out later this year (oh, happy new year, btw). I'm scared. It finished so wonderfully. I don't want everything to get messed up. I like my happy little bubble of joy. One side note, though, I feel like, as absolutely amazing I found the ultimate romance in this book, the title more or less spoiled it a bit, since, you know, it's his tattoo and all? Not bad, really, just... I don't know. Also, it really really bugged me that Juliette, in her thoughts, continued to think of him as Warner, even when she always addressed him as Aaron. I kept forgetting his name. Man, now I'm supes nervous for this new book.

ellieb05xo's review

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

bookbrainrot's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective tense slow-paced

chrystal_'s review

Was this book the greatest way to end a trilogy? No. Was this book my favorite of the trilogy? Yes 100% I finished this in 2 days cuz of how good it is. Now was there a complex plot line or compelling character growth? still no lol. Was Warner n Juliette’s newfound romance predictable af? Yes, but I see this series more as a romance than dystopian since there was like no plot lol. Where the world building lacked the “lift your hips for me love” carried. The book ended when the plot was finally getting interesting and was rushed af, but idgaf since Juliette got over bland Adam and finally let herself to love the one and only Aaron Warner. Adam was done dirty 100% but again idc cuz Aaron Warner supremacy

achazsa's review

well, I started off dislike-ing the first book in this series because I hate Mafi__s writing style, but it changed in this book. I found this book sooooo easy to read I don__t realize that I already half-through reading it while I was lying in my bed.
From the character side, it was always Warner who made me wants to read the next installment. Something about him makes me wondering about what he's gonna do in the next book etc. and tbh, I don__t really care about Juliette and Adam. I__m only interested in Warner, but now, I just loooove all the characters esp. Kenji and James. Can I have both of them as my brothers? lol.

Spoiler the point of this series was J who cannot be touched, but now that she can turn it off, what__s the point anymore? and that ending tho, wasn__t Anderson__s way to die was too easy? just like that and then he died? you gotta be kidding me, the ending was just, meh. I don__t believe it, no effort and I kinda disappointed with the ending.

beverageandbook's review

Well this series completely took over my Friday and Saturday. I'm not even sorry I've ignored everything else in my life because Aaron Warner is my life now. AND with a fourth book coming out next week, I am beside myself. What a time to be alive.

“description”/