Batman Vol. 3: I Am Bane (Rebirth), by Tom King

hinkle's review

Still not sold in Catwoman/Batman but this one was so good it made me go, “oh yes, he gets it.” Swamp Thing and Batman having tea in Wayne Manor? Alfred rescuing a dog that had been tormented by the Joker and refusing to give up til he’d taught the dog how to be something other than a ball of anger and fear? Bruce saying, “I do what I do because someone needed help and so I helped them”? Kisses fingers. Love it.

There was a moment early on where I was cursing that the Robins are all white boys with black hair and blue eyes b/c it took me many pages to work out which was which. (Damien is easy cause he’s little. It was Jason and Dick, apparently Tim is dead??? Anyway I gave up on DC two reboots ago.)

sans's review

I've been really hard on the recent floppies of this series. It's made me wonder, is it him or is it me? This proved it's him.

This was good. The Bane plot was tightly written, well told, pulled me in and kept me reading. The other stories served a purpose, they gave backstory and peeks into otherwise unseen slices of life. So what happened? After the farce of a wedding, shit went downhill fast and I'm still not onboard for King's currently dragging plots and "hey, see, it'll all tie together! eventually!" attitude.

The last several months have been chocked full of those terrible filler episodes you inevitably get in every anime series and I'm tired of reading filler and getting told to wait because the payout will all be worth it. Because that's what I was told regarding Heroes in Crisis and that was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever sat through. He pulled it off with Mister Miracle though! But Scott's story didn't drag like HiC and this series has since issue 50. A few bad issues I can understand. It's tough to write something for three years straight. 25 bad issues is pure burnout.

So yeah, King was really good at his job. This proves it.

eve_boobies's review

This was pretty meh for the most part but there were a couple of lil numerous moments that I really enjoyed.

And I’m gonna say it again, I’m not really into Bruce/Selena but at the end with the ring she stole? My heart MELTED

jmanchester0's review

I don‰ЫЄt know. There was some good and some bad here.

I loved the opening in the fast food joint with the bat-sons!

And though it was an interesting throwback to Nightfall I didn‰ЫЄt just love the Arkham part.

Fascinating swamp thing story, though!

And I did enjoy the annual stories.

apageinthestacks's review

4.5/5

just_fighting_censorship's review

I appreciate the attempts at humor and softening the Dark Knight just a bit.

beorn_101's review

Building on the strengths of the 2nd volume, I am Bane explodes with action, but also the fascinating juxtaposition between the Bat and Bane.

Batman's emotions are raw and upfront here, while Bane, on the rampage, threatens everything.

quinnster's review

I like Bane as a character, though I was a little disappointed with how surface this run was. The Swamp Thing/Batman team up was probably my favorite issue so far.

josetinocoperez's review

80/100.

Llevaba un tiempo sin leer Batman y no recordaba que me gustara tanto. Wow.

Buena trama, buen desarrollo de personajes, buen dibujo.

sajie87's review

Bane is a scary dude and I appreciate Tom King giving him a story worth his badassery and making comparisons to Batman’s badassery. but I am upset that that meant making the “robins” look weak by comparison.

On the other hand, the back up stories about Ace the bat hound, and Batman working a case with Swamp Thing were much more intriguing. Sajie Approved.