j_squaredd's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

thewoodlandbookshelf's review

informative medium-paced

tyyne's review

informative medium-paced

Part great intro to cults for the uninitiated haha, and part interesting dissection of the language of cults. The conspirituality parts were expectedly depressing.

spaghettireads's review

informative reflective medium-paced

After enjoying Wordslut by Amanda Montell earlier this year, I knew I wanted to pick up Cultish. I thought her writing style was engaging in Wordslut, and I thought that it would be even better on a topic that I felt like I knew less about.

I have definitely previously described groups and things as being cult-like. I really appreciated the discussion in this book about what are the characteristics of a cult and how it all connects back to language. This helped me separate out what is actually cultish, and what is not. Previously I think I was describing groups that just had a strong sense of community as being cult-like, when they didn’t have the power dynamics that are so key to cults.

I enjoyed the second half of the book the most, where not typical cultish groups are examined. MLMs, exercise groups, and social media influencers were the most interesting to me. I don’t think I have the same fascination about cults that some people do, so the first part of the book discussing more well known cults of the past wasn’t as interesting to me, but important for building an understanding of the key features of a cult.

I would definitely recommend picking it up! I mostly read the audio version, which I found very engaging.

sjanke2's review

funny informative lighthearted fast-paced

caseythereader's review

dark emotional funny informative reflective medium-paced

- CULTISH is a fascinating examination not only of what constitutes a cult in the modern world, but how these groups (whether technically a cult or not) use language to build their own worlds, draw people in, and keep them there.
- Particularly, the emphasis on the fact that someone getting tangled up in fringe religious groups or MLMs isn't necessarily a sign of stupidity or gullibility, rather that these organizations have carefully calibrated their pitches to bring in the most driven, committed people.

stevie's review