tklassy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful slow-paced

This is a hard book for me to rate in stars to be honest. I read it over a number of months in sections so it seems quite disjointed to me, something that makes it difficult to collectively review. It is undeniable that this book was essential and needed when it was first published, and just as needed today. To read something so foundational In intersectional feminism also had a kind of surrealism to it. It seems just so so big. And so I took my time. It was beautiful, poetical, full of prose and wonderful images. The cover was striking. I will definitely hold a space always for this somewhere in my mind, and somewhere in my heart I think so too. But I still don’t know how I will ‘rate this.’ It seems to large to subdue to simple numbers. But I’ll give it a try.

dearbookshelves's review against another edition

This Bridge Called My Back is a collection edited by Cherrie Moraga and Gloria Anzaldua and was BY FAR my favorite read of the month. This is a collection of poems, speeches, and essays written by women of color that deal with topics such as intersectionality and the dangers and failure of white feminism among other things. Even though many of these pieces were written in the 80s, there are points that are still totally relevant today and sometimes it’s frustrating that we are still fighting the same fight, but that’s definitely part of the process of reading TBCMB in 2020. Part of why I wanted to (and had to) take my time reading this collection is because I constantly wanted to stop and make notes and underline sections while I read. I’m not really sure yet how to best review collections of work by various authors but I do want to end this review by mentioning a few of my favorite pieces from the collection. One piece I really enjoy is the introduction to the fifth section, “Speaking in Tongues” which is written by Gloria Anzaldua. This is a letter to women of color writers that discusses the importance of women of color to continue to write and take control of their stories. She also acknowledges the danger and difficulty that can come with that. It is a fantastic letter and really makes you think about the importance of writing. Another piece I really enjoyed was Pat Parker’s “Revolution: It’s Not Neat or Pretty or Quick.” This speech talks about the fact that real change takes a ton of time and you can’t give up quickly. This piece feels incredibly relevant now and I’ll just leave this review with a quote from this piece. “To end Klan or Nazi activity doesn’t end imperialism. It doesn’t end institutional racism; it doesn’t end sexism; it does not bring this monster down, and we must not forget what our goals are and who our enemies are. To simply label these people as lunatic fringes and not accurately assess their roles as part of this system is a dangerous error. These people do the dirty work. They are the arms and legs of the congressmen, the businessmen, the Tri-lateral Commission.”

choirqueer's review against another edition

I'd read a few of the essays in this book before, but somehow I'd never read the whole thing through. So glad I finally did!

cythera15's review against another edition

emotional inspiring fast-paced

secanno's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

emily_mar's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

kelswid's review against another edition

sallysimply's review against another edition

informative inspiring

eirenophile's review against another edition

This book demands respect and then takes you in places books that demand respect rarely do. And, in case it isn't clear from my phrasing, I mean that it is f*ing awesome.

samaso's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative medium-paced