Reviews tagging Domestic abuse

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

shereadytoread's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

n_ony's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

twoheaded_boy's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

the only reason this isn’t a five star is because romance isn’t really “my” genre.

kaycdf's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

I'm obsessed with this author. The three books she wrote in the series (the Brown Sisters) are all amazing and have such a range of diverse, three dimension characters. This book both acknowledges and talks about chronic illness / disability, as well as abusive relationships, in such a wonderful way. The dialogue between characters is hilarious, the intimacy scenes are hot as hell, and the emotions conveyed are astounding. I cannot wait for what this author rights next!

thewrongalice's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

jaejae36's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

anger566's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Really loved the representation, the conflict was predictable but I liked the ending.

rainy86days's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring relaxing medium-paced

bansheebooks's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I can totally see why a ton of people love this. It's a very wholesome romance that I think is just supposed to make the reader feel good. The characters are all good people who want the best for each other. There was nothing 'wrong' with the plot or characters.

It's not perfect for me because it didn't emotionally hit me like it has for others but definitely a good book with no glaring issues.

Also the way it handles abuse and shitty partners is very good. I don't or am not close with anyone with a chronic illness but I can imagine how much Chloe meant to a lot of readers who can relate to her on that front.

The audiobook narrator did not match well with the tone of this book however.

cemeterygay's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

This was a pretty great romance book but the sheer amount of miscommunication just killed me.

It's a cute and fun romance with a great sense of humor that is written so cleverly.

The best part of this book is Hibbert's writing style. With the exception of a few bizarre word choices during sex scenes, the way Talia Hibbert writes is always so enjoyable. The balance between humor and description works fantastically and the jokes keep the pace quick enough to keep your attention. The detail to the romantic scenes is always so great and sweet.

Before I get into the other aspects I adore in this book, I need to take a moment two express the only strong issues I have with this book. One, the sheer amount of miscommunication killed me. Watching two grown adults have the communication skills of two teenagers in their first high school romance hurt me so deeply. The only positive about this is that it is over relatively quickly so it doesn't take up too much of the book. Two, I think Red is a pretty meh love interest. He's okay, I like the vibes but is very much outshone by Chloe.

I cannot highlight how much I adore the cast but particularly Chloe Brown. Chloe is just such an amazing main protagonist. She has such a distinct personality and has a charm that really makes you want to root for her. I love the way both disability and past instances of abuse are talked about. I adore Chloe's relationships with her family and Hibbert does a fantastic job at writing family dynamics specifically sisters. It is an underrated skill but one that Hibbert has absolutely mastered.

The romance in this book just is so great and I love the framing of Chloe's list.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to both lovers of romance and people getting into romance.