Reviews tagging Physical abuse

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

nav26's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Omg I ADORED this. Definitely the best romance I've read in a while. I loved Chloe and Red so much, together and individually. I really appreciate how the author treated both of the characters' main issues. I thought it was handled really well and the insights she gave into each were so realistic and believable. <Spoiler> Red's reaction bc of his trauma broke my heart because it was so accurate. Same with Chloe's following response. I've been there and felt both of those things. I also really loved that the big issue/disagreement wasn't just a miscommunication thing but was them needing to work through their personal demons. </Spoiler> This is gonna have a special place in my heart for a long time.

agnesbebon's review against another edition

I loved this book. Talia Hibbert does an amazing job depicting chronic pain and illness, and as someone who suffers from chronic pain, it felt so beautiful to read a romance I could relate to. I think Talia Hibbert absolutely treated the issue, the characters, and the readers gently.

I adored Chloe and Red. The banter was amazing, I died for the emails. I loved the way Chloe was a plus size MC without talking heavily about her weight or insecurities surrounding it. Very excited to continue the series.

kaycdf's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

I'm obsessed with this author. The three books she wrote in the series (the Brown Sisters) are all amazing and have such a range of diverse, three dimension characters. This book both acknowledges and talks about chronic illness / disability, as well as abusive relationships, in such a wonderful way. The dialogue between characters is hilarious, the intimacy scenes are hot as hell, and the emotions conveyed are astounding. I cannot wait for what this author rights next!

anger566's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Really loved the representation, the conflict was predictable but I liked the ending.

theakilahbrown's review against another edition

funny hopeful slow-paced

I appreciated (a lot!) that this book has a main character with chronic pain, and I loved seeing the daily realities of that reflected in the book, but this book had major pacing issues for me. The first half of the book seems to take place in three days (five?) and then the characters love each other, and I just couldn't figure out when in time everything was. Also, this felt like a long read and--even though I was doing screen-free Saturday--I kept putting it down to do something else.

Things I liked:
- both main characters
- Gigi
- almost all of the dialogue
- that the author noted women can 100% be physically and emotionally abusive towards men AND that she called it abuse

There's also a decent smut factor, if you're into that sort of thing. I think most romance fans would probably like it.

stardust_heidi's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This book is like cuddling up with a soft, fluffy blanket —if the blanket were filled with sharp, witty humor, precious endearments, and some sexy pining.
The first time I read this, I listened to the audiobook -- this time I wanted to mark every ridiculously delightful sentence, but alas. I didn't have my page markers handy.
The chronic illness rep is amazing: as someone who is able bodied and also works in physical therapy, it really shone a eye-opening light onto a life of someone who lives with chronic illness and how much of a roller coaster it actually is.
Red and Chloe -- UGH. I LOVE THEM. I just love them.
SpoilerI often wish romance books didn't need to have that one defining moment of conflict, because after a while, the reasons get quite predictable. (And is it so bad to want the two to just be happy together?) However, both Chloe and Red have their own traumas and shit that goes real deep, and I think Talia Hibbert did a great job at showing them at points of panic and past lies rushing in -- and then healing. It wasn't an immediate apology and acceptance, and BOTH of them had to step back for a few days to realign their heads. Imo, it's done really well -- it's at least satisfying to me, but I'm easy to please, lmao. And in the end, conflict helps create character growth and depth to a story, and a life with only rainbows isn't reality.

bookdsolid's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

tabula_risa's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

pandalesque's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective

cemeterygay's review against another edition

emotional funny fast-paced

This was a pretty great romance book but the sheer amount of miscommunication just killed me.

It's a cute and fun romance with a great sense of humor that is written so cleverly.

The best part of this book is Hibbert's writing style. With the exception of a few bizarre word choices during sex scenes, the way Talia Hibbert writes is always so enjoyable. The balance between humor and description works fantastically and the jokes keep the pace quick enough to keep your attention. The detail to the romantic scenes is always so great and sweet.

Before I get into the other aspects I adore in this book, I need to take a moment two express the only strong issues I have with this book. One, the sheer amount of miscommunication killed me. Watching two grown adults have the communication skills of two teenagers in their first high school romance hurt me so deeply. The only positive about this is that it is over relatively quickly so it doesn't take up too much of the book. Two, I think Red is a pretty meh love interest. He's okay, I like the vibes but is very much outshone by Chloe.

I cannot highlight how much I adore the cast but particularly Chloe Brown. Chloe is just such an amazing main protagonist. She has such a distinct personality and has a charm that really makes you want to root for her. I love the way both disability and past instances of abuse are talked about. I adore Chloe's relationships with her family and Hibbert does a fantastic job at writing family dynamics specifically sisters. It is an underrated skill but one that Hibbert has absolutely mastered.

The romance in this book just is so great and I love the framing of Chloe's list.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to both lovers of romance and people getting into romance.