Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

bansheebooks's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I can totally see why a ton of people love this. It's a very wholesome romance that I think is just supposed to make the reader feel good. The characters are all good people who want the best for each other. There was nothing 'wrong' with the plot or characters.

It's not perfect for me because it didn't emotionally hit me like it has for others but definitely a good book with no glaring issues.

Also the way it handles abuse and shitty partners is very good. I don't or am not close with anyone with a chronic illness but I can imagine how much Chloe meant to a lot of readers who can relate to her on that front.

The audiobook narrator did not match well with the tone of this book however.

moonytoast's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

if i had a nickel for scenes where a character goes through another character’s cabinets in their apartment and critiques their lack of cutlery, i’d have two nickels… which isn’t a lot but it’s weird that it happened twice

pandalesque's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective

lisakate1126's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

I loved this book SO much! It was cute and a little spicy and had a disabled black woman as the main character (love the representation!). I think that Chloe’s disability was handled well in that it showed how much it affects her everyday life and also how she doesn’t necessarily want it to define her. The book is predictable, but it made me happy! I can’t wait to read the rest of the series and more by this author!

jayjoonwoo's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

thewyvern's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

I am not used to adult books at all, so this was stepping outside my comfort zone. Overall, I do really recommend this book to anyone who loves romance books. I am definitely going to check out the rest of the Brown Sisters trilogy soon.

janeesjournal's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny informative inspiring medium-paced

Ein wirklich tolle Romanze und vor allem wird ein wirklich wichtiges Thema angesprochen, dass viele leider noch gar nicht kennen.

Die Charaktere an sich auch recht divers für NA Bücher, was das ganze noch besser gemacht hat. Die Repräsentation verschiedenster Sachen war in diesem Buch wirklich top und ich freue mich schon auf die Romanzen der anderen Brown-Geschwister.

Die Handlung entwickelt sich zwar slow, aber auch sehr romantisch und passt einfach perfekt zu den Charakteren (und es gibt natürlich auch etwas spice, wofür sich das warten lohnt).

Beide Protagonisten sind sehr gut ausgearbeitet und haben mit ihren eigenen psychischen und physischen Problemen zu kämpfen. Besonders Chloes Krankheit wurde sehr gut dargestellt, obwohl das Krankheitsbild so unterschiedlich sein kann und da ich die selbe Erkrankung habe, konnte ich besonders mit Chloe und ihrem Lebensstil mitfühlen.
Auch andere wichtige Themen wie toxische Beziehungen und seelischer Missbrauch wurden angesprochen und gut damit umgegangen.

ayah_reads's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

Ahhhh this BOOK REMINDS ME THAT BIPOC ROMCOMS WRITTEN BY BIPOC AUTHORS ARE LITERALLY THE GREATEST THING ON THIS EARTH.

This was so much fun, it's such a quick read, I ate so much of it up when I should have been doing my finals for uni 🤣 It also has this depth to it, main characters that actually communicate!!! A character (and a guy at that) that actually seeks and attends therapy!! Content warnings at the beginning of the book!! Causal representation of multiple things 🙌🙌🙌

Like everything I would want in a romcom. The only thing that stops it from getting 5 stars is that I kinda fell out of it towards the end, which is totally on me, I read so much of the book while I should have been doing uni that I had to do the opposite to actually do my work 🤣🤣

It seems like a lot of people felt the ending was rushed, maybe it was the way I read it but I wasn't fussed by it. That end conflict needed to happen because we had both characters that have pasts they needed to work through, so it was bound to happen and also important that it did so we can see these characters go through that. I will say for a stretch of the middle/end of the book, things are veryyyy happy and you can just feel like something is going to happen and it comes a lot later. So in that sense I can how it could be rushed because more time could have been devoted to it.

But that's literally so minor, this book is fantastic, believe the hype, I'm so glad these books blew up and I'm so ready to read the other books when I need a wonderful romcom to dive into.

valleviathan's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

Since this has such crazy hype surrounding it, I may have set my expectations a bit too high.The ending is what really saved for me. I still really enjoyed the story and I do still recommend for anyone  who enjoys romance.

siob___'s review against another edition

emotional hopeful fast-paced