The Last Girl, by Goldy Moldavsky

katiecarly's review

I really enjoyed this book, I did guess some of the ending but enjoyed the really interesting concept of the club. The book starts with a really dramatic event so I was hooked and wanted to keep reading.

It’s a great YA book that I’d definitely recommend for fans of One Of Us Is Lying!

Thanks to @netgalley and @electricmonkeybooks for the ARC

uptoolatereading's review

Rachel is the new girl at Manhattan Prep who is desperate for a fresh start where no-one knows her past. Keeping under the radar and staying at home watching horror movies rather than hanging out spoiled rich kids' parties is just how she likes it. So she is surprised when she gets an invite to The Mary Shelley Club. To the rest of the school they seemingly have nothing in common and would never hang out together but they come together for their love of horror movies. Their other love is fear tests which involve targeting classmates and scaring them out of their wits. The aim of the test is to get a scream although someone is determined to go further than that.

I had heard a book being talked about called The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky which sounded right up my street so I went to look into it further I saw it is actually called The Last Girl in the UK. I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted it on Netgalley and knew I had to bump it up my tbr.

It seems to be quite a lot of horror books I am hearing of recently are YA and I have been left disappointed when I actually read them as they are not remotely scary or even very readable. This one did not disappoint. It was not really scary but did have plenty of thrills as the whole premise of recreating horror movie tropes to scare their classmates was brilliant and I loved reading their plans come together. As little is known of the planned tests beforehand this added to the tension and also the narration switches to the target so you are just as surprised as them when something eerie starts to happen. There is also an element of mystery and intrigue as you try to figure out if the club members are actually who they appear to be. None of the characters were one dimensional and they were all intregal to the story. I could clearly see the whole thing play out in my head and as such I would love to see this made into a Netflix series. I am going to pass this book onto my eldest son as I know he would love it, but really would recommend for anyone who looking for a thrill or two. Until now I have never heard of this author but I'm excited to discover more.

bo_oks's review

mysterious sad tense medium-paced

rachiiebookworm2710's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

285 pages not 400 something pages! Update your listings The StoryGraph! A intriguing, gripping book. Read for the July #Buzzwordathon - Last

tbhonest_uk's review

The Last Girl is an addictive thriller that will have you hooked and on the edge of your seat. Full of the horror stories we've loved to fear over the years. It's a roller-coaster read that you won't forget.

liseyp's review

funny mysterious fast-paced

A smart, funny thriller for fans of good and so-bad-it’s-good horror movies.

This was exactly what I wanted. A clever horror novel with twists, jump scares and a good resolution.

Rachel Chavez and her mum have moved from Long Island to Brooklyn to create some distance from the aftermath of a home invasion. Rachel is a big horror movie fan, having found that exposure to fear in the controlled environment of a film makes her less scared of what actually happened to her.

At school she’s an outsider, but she begins to realise that there are others with similar interests to her - a Breakfast Club style group of people with no outwardly visible similarities, but who are brought together by their shared interest in horror movies and their love of a good scare.

In the grand tradition of Scream this is a very knowing horror movie. The horror tropes are acknowledged and put to good use. The author treats her readers with respect, knowing they’ll suspect everyone and everything while still providing some unexpected moments.

A really enjoyable and easy to read novel.

ch1406's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

fabisantiago's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

nicolelynnsweeney's review

dark tense medium-paced

bookswithcookandacuppa's review

dark medium-paced

The Last Girl by Goldy Moldavsky
⭐️⭐️ 2.5
Publication date: 15/04/2021
Rachel and her mum move house and school following a home invasion which resulted in Rachel killing one of the people. Rachel, encouraged by her mum to make friends, joins the Mary Shelley club- a group of horror fans who create scares for their peers.
Rachel is a likeable character who is clearly desperate to fit in but doesn’t, leaving the reader sympathetic to her situation. If I was a 14 year old into horror films then I probably would love this book. However for me, I felt like the author was trying too hard to appeal to teenagers and that just made it a difficult read.
Thank you to NetGalley, @egmontbooksuk, @EMteenFiction and of course Goldy Moldavsky for this ARC.