Paper Is White, by Hilary Zaid

literallymya's review against another edition

a sweet, moving story about love, loss, and the meaning of history.

lindick's review against another edition

I really liked this book. It’s a multi-layered story of a 20-something woman living in the Bay Area in the 90s, preparing to marry her girlfriend while grappling with her Jewish identity, history, and her relationship with her family. I’m a Jewish lesbian in my 20s from San Francisco, so needless to say I found it very relatable!

I bought this ages ago and put off reading it because I thought it would be super heavy, as the main character works at a Holocaust oral history non-profit and it’s a lot about what late 20th century Jews owe survivors. But it ended up being super interesting and not as heavy as I was expecting, although it was heartbreaking at times and I did cry. As a cultural Jew with minimal religious education, I learned a lot and really connected to the intense conflicting feelings of the protagonist. And the current-day wedding storyline added some much-needed levity and romance (even as it had its own drama).

The writing can be intense and sort of over-the-top, which mostly felt very earned (you basically can’t be *too* evocative when telling a Holocaust survivor’s story), but there were times when I was iffy on it. Especially the descriptions of the one Asian character (she’s half-Chinese half-Indonesian, and she’s described as having “hair the color of lava rock and fierce, dark eyes the burning black of a Javanese god of love or war” and showing up “smooth and prescient as a Jakarta dukun summoning a pain-relieving charm”) were just like....what?? I think the point was the narrator was having doubts about committing for life to her fiancé and was putting all this weird sexualized description onto a hot coworker as a distraction? But it felt exoticized/fetishized and awkward.

Aside from that one page, and not fully connecting with the protagonist’s relationship with her grandmother, I really enjoyed reading this, and found it engrossing, moving, interesting, and relatable.

lesbianmerle's review against another edition

This has to be one of the most complete, multilayered stories I've ever read. The grace with which we're introduced to the characters and settings allows for not a single dull moment in this book. The exploration of early-2000's gay marriage was very interesting to me. The characters feel truly alive, not bound to a single straight-line plot, but growing and breathing even in the paragraphs where they are not mentioned. Remarkable and thought-provoking!

solskog123's review

a beautiful book! i adored the focus on jewish & lesbian identity. some of the characters felt a bit unnecessary and unbelievable (some of the plot points did too!) but i loved the way this book explored love, grief and history. the lesbian friendships and relationships felt very real to me: they made me reflect on my own community. i loved it. <3