Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood

ilona_rae's review against another edition

So funny and delightful. And yet, the serious moments were deftly done - poetic and insightful.

traitorjoes's review against another edition

read

saranies's review against another edition

I loved this book, enough that I handed off my (overdue library) copy to my partner and asked him to read a chapter. It is laugh out loud funny but also turns somber. The care with which each sentence is crafted and the abstract imagery makes clear that this was written by a poet who deeply respects the English language. Priestdaddy more than deserves its place on all the Top Ten lists this year.

madiswanreads's review against another edition

funny reflective slow-paced

zmull's review against another edition

A poet writes about moving back in with her parents, one of whom is a Catholic priest given rare dispensation to marry. Her father, the priest, is a self-centered asshole who is into big showy displays of disdain for others. This is a memoir with a lot of heart. It's beautifully written and has a lot to say and and a lot of love for some frankly shitty people. Recommended.

alexandrakmedeiros's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

sanfordc11's review against another edition

funny reflective fast-paced

abbeyhar103's review against another edition

Struck such a different tone than I expected - funny, poignant, beautiful prose. I found myself going back and retreading passages from earlier in the book - something I never Do. This will stay with me for a long time. Excellent

el_thor's review against another edition

Ya girl is quirky, I’ll give her that. Sometimes her metaphors didn’t quite make sense to me or were a stretch. That being said, I loved that they weren’t cliches. They were unique, original. Her poetic nature was clear in her sentences. I loved the peek into her writing process as much as the one into her family.
My favorite part was the way in which she discussed religion. She weighed it and studied it, noted its beauty and its flaws, unearthed the magic and the horror, all while not passing any judgment. She didn’t make the decision on how to feel about it for the reader, which I appreciate. I’m not even sure she made it for herself. The idea that something can be beautiful and useful and simultaneously horrible and destructive is so intriguing, and she did a masterful job of laying Catholicism (and the church as a whole) out like that.

mkhay's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced