Please Remain Calm, by Courtney Summers

obreeyyy's review

wth :')

autumnchrunik's review

What the heck was that? Why did this book hurt to read so much? I just, can’t believe it right now. I want to cry.

christyreadsx's review

Please Remain Calm is the continuation/sequel to [b:This is Not a Test|13326831|The Testing (The Testing, #1)|Joelle Charbonneau|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1363452191s/13326831.jpg|18534001] by Courtney Summers. This is from the point of view of Rhys and follows him and Sloane as they leave town and head for a safe haven.

This is just a short novella, around 100 pages, to follow on from This is Not a Test (TINAT) and it is definitely worth the read. If you're like me and Rhys was your favourite character of TINAT, then you will definitely enjoy this.

This novella has everything TINAT was missing! It had the scary zombie moments and stomach twisting reveals I loved at the end of the first book. This was definitely a 4.5 star read.

THE PLOT WAS SO GOOD. THE ZOMBIES WERE EVERYWHERE. THE SUSPENSE WAS EVERYWHERE. I loved watching Rhys looking for Slone when they're seperated and the characters we're introduced to when he's searching are just so interesting.

I think Courtney Summers is just amazing are writing things you would never expect to see coming, and it definitely carried into this novella.

The ending of this book is just evil, I just NEED to know what happened but I know I never will. Somehow, I think I'm okay with that. A third installment would be too much and I think sometimes an author just needs to be brave enough to end a story with such a stomach wrenching twist.

I would honestly reread TINAT just so I could reread this too. Although, if you've read the main story, you could probably reread this without doing so with the main novel.

Read This is Not a Test, then come and read this. It's SO GOOD.

freadomlibrary's review

What kind of unfair ending is that?!?! Not only is it a cliffhanger and I don't know if there's gonna be another book but it's also so heartbreaking! This is a great little extra for the first book. We have a new POV but a familiar character which was nice. The story was both distressing and powerful. I kind of want another book just to see what happens next.

mehsi's review

I was so excited when I heard there would be a sequel. I adored the first book and I never expected (though hoped a lot) that there would be a second novel.
And now there is. It is really short, but super action packed and also, prepare tissues, you will need them! Since Courtney Summers doesn't shy away from killing off people.

It took me some time to get into the book. It has been 2 years since I read the first book, so while I remembered some details, a lot had already faded to an unknown place in my head. Luckily this books tells us a bit about what happened, and also what happened to Rhys and Sloane. Which makes me happy, I was almost planning on reading the first book again. :)

This book is all about Rhys and how he and Sloane, and later other people, try to survive in a world full with zombies. There is no safe place any more. There is only pain, death and running for your life.
Rhys has his fair share of problems, his family background, the fact he had to kill his parents and several other things. Even though this is a short book, we still get to know Rhys even more. And he is a wonderful character. I loved how he was with Ainsley, he was a natural. Even in a world like this, he kept his kindness and friendliness.

Sloane was an interesting character in this one, though we don't see much of her, we lose track of her after 1/3 of the book.

The story itself is interesting, though I won't spoil much. I will just say that I had my suspicions on the fates of a character and I was right. It took away a bit of the surprise element when it happened, but still it broke my heart.

And then, dear Lord, that ending. Sorry, that just broke my heart. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say, that was one mean ending. Be prepared to cry or to shake your head. It will break you. I didn't expect that to happen. :(

All in all, this was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. There were zombies (duh!), gore, blood, sadness and dealing with your past. I would strongly recommend this one to everyone who read the first book, or wants to start the series (in that case first read the first book, since this one is really a sequel).

Review first posted at http://twirlingbookprincess.com/

amethyst's review

I'm so angry.

hillyandbooks's review

Before:
This is going to be so cool.
Oh my god. Oh my god.
This cover is haunting... and the summary even more.

After:
I'm crying all over the place. Yes.
I knew Please Remain Clam was supposed to blow my mind, but I swear it has done a lot more. And it's only about one-hundred pages long.
Courtney Summers is everything. Everything you need to read for your entire life. I've got no words, actually. I don't know what else to say.
These books are so unique. Thanks to them I can feel.

I just freaking love Rhys. He's a perfect, deep and natural character. Just like Sloane (and every other girl protagonist in Summers' books). Well, seems like the author can write male thinking and psychology as well as the female one. And she's so good at it. I swear.
In fact, I think that what characterizes most her writing is the way she manages to capture feelings of young people in desperate situations. She describes these feelings in such a good way that, while reading, you think you are the character. And that you're dealing with the apocalypse, or with a suicide, or with everything that's so bad in the world that it traumatizes you.
I also have to say that the description of the dead was so accurate I was disgusted myself. I could picture all in details in my head, and the zombies have started to terrify me as well. This hasn't even happened to me with horror stories (or movies), so I'm clapping very hard for the author.
The new characters made me a little bit angry at the beginning because I wanted Sloane, not them
Spoiler(I admit I let out a slow slow sigh when Rhys found Sloane, thank god)
, but then I loved them too. The sad thing is, you know...
Spoilerthey all die? And that last part, when Rhys discovers that the little girl was bitten, it was even worse. That was the part that destroyed me all for once.

Instead I super loved (like in TINAT) the relationship between Rhys and Sloane. They are just so cute! Otp!
And Sloane has changed a lot from the first book: she's strong, self assured and determined. The character growth is unbelievable.

This novella made me want more but unfortunately it's short and I have already read it all. So now I have to wait until April to read All The Rage.
I hope Rhys and Sloane are headed for a good place this time. My fingers are crossed.

nooreo's review

pre-read: hehehe this book is supposed to rip my heart out and stomp on it. i have high expectations. predictions? one of the two main characters, or maybe both if we want to get crazy, are going to die. I mean, it’s a zombie book. It’s bound to happen. But I’m not very emotionally attached to either of these characters, so hopefully this 200 page ebook will change my perspective when (if) they all die

post-read: excuse me, officer? yes I’d like to report this book right here.

So it didn’t stomp on my heart and play volleyball with it, but it was still sad. I enjoyed this better than the first book, even though it was half its length. and I think a main reason is because I actually really liked the characters in this book. Then again, I didn’t have to read Sloane’s bitchy narration this time around, so that may be why I liked her more.

liisbookshelves's review

What an amazing sequel to this is not a test.

There has got to be another book I can't live with this cliff hanger.

melissalynne81's review

I hope there's another one. God I hope there's another one. Another amazing book. Why couldn't it have been a full length novel?!
Please write another one. I can't be left hanging like this.