Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce

lemonlaiime's review

Read in September 2013 - reread in October 2013

sailorkchick's review

Loved it! The book goes between Rosethorn's, Briar's and Evvy's perspective as they help defend Gyongxe from the Yanging emperor.
It makes me want to go back and read Will of the Empress so I can feel like this has a sequel.

melbotics's review against another edition

jalexpulliamkepler's review

This is not one of Pierce’s best works as the passive characters keep the plot wandering and the plot unfulfilling, and two of the three protagonists are too powerful to create tension. That being said, I still enjoyed returning to the Circleverse as a long-time Tamora Pierce fan!

Book content warnings: cat death and graphic torture

tani's review

More like 2.5. I had a terrible time getting through this. The setting was cool and the battles were fine, but there just wasn't enough substance to justify the length for me. Considering how long it took me to finally continue this series, this was a sincere disappointment.

kota_123's review

raeneptune's review against another edition

adventurous dark inspiring tense medium-paced

rebecca713's review

I don’t know and don’t care what sort of quality this book actually was because I was so focused on getting to see briar and evvy and rosethorn again. 5 stars

ruthannejoy's review

I'm glad to have this book to fill in the gaps of Melting Stones! As is often the problem with letting action take place off page, and then going back and writing it, it didn't quite match up to the hints in Melting Stones, I felt. The way I'd imagined things when reading Melting Stones was just a bit jarring with how it played out here. Battle Magic also handled the trauma of war pretty differently than the original Circle books. It seems a bit inconsistent to have Rosethorn have PTSD from this war (which is realistic! To be clear!) but not from the many other wars and battles she's been a part of. I also felt frustrated for Tris. I don't feel like she got the support she needed after the pirate attack. Briar at least acknowledges that he didn't understand why she was upset, and now he does. But Rosethorn and Lark should have known better! And if they can know better here, they should have with Tris too. I don't begrudge Briar and Evy getting the support they need, and I guess this might be an instance of Tamora Pierce developing as a person and author over time, but it just seems jarring and makes me sad for Tris.

garnetofeden's review

All of the characters in the Emelan universe are phenomenal, but I must admit to having a special place in my heart for Briar, Evvy, and Rosethorn, so I was very excited to finally get my hands on Battle Magic. As always, the worldbuilding for the new areas of the world being visited is incredibly detailed and unique. I loved getting perspectives from Briar, Evvy, and Rosethorn throughout the book and finally getting the backstory for Briar's experiences that led to where he is in Will of the Empress.

Rating reviewed 1/20/2023.