Love in the Big City, by Sang Young Park

mathi's review against another edition

alexluceli's review against another edition

this book was pretty good, but missing some sort of je ne sais quoi in my opinion. i’m sure that it was the point, but it felt almost too disjointed sometimes. and i really do love a good nonlinear narrative, it just didn’t completely make sense to me all the time/completely work for me! the narrator was really fun, though. i love reading about miserable people. overall an enjoyable read, 4/5 stars!

ravenwolf_waf's review against another edition

I DNF'd it around a third of the way through because of a lack of interest on my part. The writing and subject was fine, just different than what I'm used to (even for a translated work), and I'm not sure I'm in the correct head space to receive it right now.

The story is told through snip-its and there are jumps in the timeline without much forewarning or explanation. Also, it's more or less a stream of consciousness as if it's being told while it's happening even though the reader knows the events happened in the past? I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I guess, think of pivotal moments that shaped who you are (I'm assuming they were pivotal to the author) then tell them as if they're happening in real time. Then jump to the next moment randomly. That's pretty much the story telling process here.

patrickdaaca's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

agiali's review against another edition

✧ 241/ 108

No one talk to me. This was pain. A very interesting, and beautifully written/ translated slice of life/coming-of-age novel. I annotated the HELL out of this. The margins of this book are littered with my awful handwriting. During the first part of this novel, I didn't really care much for it. I thought I got the synopsis wrong and I was lost. Then I reached the second part and became immediately inspired to annotate it. I don't annotate my books, especially write PARAGRAPHS in them, if I'm not inspired and not completely obsessed with it. I loved this contemporary with love story elements so much. It's beautiful.

If you're a fan of Alone With You in the Ether by Olivie Blake, On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong, and even The Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali, this one will be PERFECT for you.

Absolutely obsessed, absolutely beautiful, and absolutely a new favorite.

lbooks's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

nazkoont's review against another edition

Great, genuine

elenavarg's review against another edition

(3,5 stars)

Very beautifully written stories which felt real. I found the friendship between the protagonist and his best friend wonderful and the final paragraph in the second chapter hit really close to home: ”All I could do was await her death. And hope that she would die without having known.”

humito's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad fast-paced

emmasbookplace's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced