The Gathering (Shadow House, Book 1), by Dan Poblocki

sparklen's review

Que buena sorpresa me llevé con este libro
Para ser un middle grade es bastante creepy, no le tenía muchas expectativas al terror peeeero vaya vaya, el libro da miedo

aprilsarah's review

This book just took me back to the days when I would watch "Are You Afraid of the Dark" by myself with all the lights off. It had the right amount of creep with an interesting take on using technology to supplement the experience.

Full Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKqbTAI2qo

biblioholicbeth's review

Five different children from very different lives. One house with five different ghosts. Once the children get in, can they get back out again?

Shadow House is fairly standard fare. Innocent victims lured to a scary house with ghosts, must figure out a way to save themselves to get free. I don't want to give any spoilers for those who might want to read this, so I'll just leave it at that. It's not a great story, nor is it completely terrible. There was one moment where I was taken by surprise (again, no spoilers), so...there's that. But in general, it's just an ok sort of book. It's not terribly original or creative, but...for some kids...it might be right up their alley. It is a bit creepy without being outright terrifying, letting the younger reader bridge that gap between Goosebumps and hard-core horror. My recommendation? Get this first book from the library first. If it's liked, then you will know that purchasing the following books in the series (and it *is* a series - with a not-very-satisfying cliffhanger) will be the best move for you.

samantha_randolph's review

"Poppy, Azumi, Marcus, Dash, and Dylan are all summoned to the Shadow House, though each thinks they're there for a different reason. Poppy believes she's finding her long lost family, Azumi and Marcus both think they're going to a school, and Dash and Dylan think it's a movie set for their next gig. Once at the House, they discover something is deadly wrong. Ghosts haunt the house, mess with their heads, and make it impossible for them to leave..." Full review at Fresh Fiction: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id=60581

wordnerd153's review

Very creepy, even without accessing the augmented reality app. Middle grade horror fans will devour this. Can't wait to read book 2!

wisetara's review

I did not expect to like this and almost didn't read it because it's a series, but now, of course, I want to read the other two books.

bookdeviant's review

honestly what the fuck did i just read.

bookdosmil's review against another edition

This was legit terrifying?? !! Scary movie scary, not middle grade creepy. Would recommend as YA.

I would not have been able to read this when I was in middle school or even high school. I wasn’t actually scared, but objectively scary throughout the entire book. I don’t know if there was a real story here or if this was just let’s just make it creepy. Plot twist at the end was good.

TW for kids: Japanese suicide forest, ghosts, nooses, creepy animal masks, dead siblings, etc.

Audiobook: fine, nothing special, not bad.

mandi_m's review

Our middle kids group read the creepy thriller Shadow House for November. It followed a group of kids who had all suffered a trauma in their past. They were lured to Shadow House under a whole range of pretences and then the house and its occupants do not want them to ever leave! We had a good chat about augmented reality and how it features in the book.

mehsi's review

This was already one of my most anticipated book of 2016, but after reading it... it has become my favourite series. I just want to know what is going to happen to the children, I want to know what is wrong with the house.

The book also comes with an app which will tell you more about the house. I still have to complete the app's story, but I am still stuck on the first story as I just want to get the options perfectly right. :P The app is just as creepy as the book is, with music and animations that suddenly pop up. o.0

Now back to the book. The book, is, seriously, creepy as hell. Really. I was reading it and I just had to switch to another book because it was nighttime and I couldn't sleep, and well, after reading this one I definitely felt like I couldn't sleep any more. The book's twists and turns are already awesome, but add to that the awesome power of photography. Really, you would be reading, flip page and come eye to eye with a scary thing. Nope, nope, nope!

We have 5 different characters (Azumi, Marcus, Poppy, and the twins Dash and Dylan). Each chapter will be about one of them. I am always a bit worried about how it will turn out, but I have to say that the author did a perfect job on them. Each character feels different, yet also a bit of the same (they do have a connection after all), and I just loved how the chapters were done. I was invested in each of these characters. Sure, I had my favourites (Poppy and Azumi), but I liked all of them in the end.
Each of them have a tragic story to go with their life. Poppy doesn't have family (+ sees a girl in the mirror no matter where she goes), Azumi lost her sister, Marcus life also isn't the easiest considering his music brings back bad memories for his mother, the twins? Well you will have to find that one out yourself. I won't say anything about that, as that is a huge spoiler (though if you are like me you will have a feeling about it from the moment we see them, the moment the first hint is dropped).

They all come together in the Shadow House, and quickly find out the house isn't friendly. They find out they can't leave. They find out that stuff is going oh so wrong in this place. It is a creepy house, and it wants them.
I loved the house, even if it was creepy as hell. I loved the fact it changed rooms, changed shape, changed everything when you think you might know what is happening. It was a creepy delight.

Then we have the 5 antagonists (or are they?) and I was really interested in those 5. They have a connection with the 5 protagonists, but they are way more deadly, and they are super-creepy. Really, every time one popped up out of the shadows I just wanted to run away. :P

Even though this book is a book 1, and even though it does end open-ended, I do have to say that it did feel like a whole book (maybe this doesn't make sense, but I have read some first books that felt like someone wrote 1 big book and randomly cut 3 books from it). It was a great introduction to a series.

All in all, this book is a creepy rollercoaster and it was definitely wow. I would highly recommend this book to those in need for a creepy read (it is almost Halloween, and this book would fit perfectly for that season). Be sure to also check out the app!

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/