Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden

auntbreesqreads's review against another edition

The beginning started out a little slow but once I got into it I was totally hooked. It was absolutely fascinating to read about such an interesting culture, even if it was a bit depressing at times.

ajacks08's review against another edition

I watched the movie sooooo long ago, so I wanted to read the book and watch the movie again. I loved the scenery explanation in the book, some of the ceremonies had me pause for the cause. I do want to do some more research to see what geishas were all about. I feel like I've heard different theories of what they did, I'm quite intrigued now. Overall beautiful story, with a lot of trauma and sadness weaved in as well.

amelendez0409's review against another edition

I’ve wanted to read this book for a long time because of the reviews and praise it receives. It was interesting but went on too long in my opinion. There were a lot of similes and metaphors that bored me. I didn’t know anything about geishas or the culture so I did enjoy learning about that. I recommend this for anyone who enjoys learning about different cultures.

niyati920's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

mamasquirrel's review against another edition

Should be read alongside watching the movie; it gives a lot more insight into the characters and their motivations.

anjali_13's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective medium-paced

homicidoll's review against another edition

I never wrote a review for this originally but when I first picked it up, it was back in 2005 and I was 14 and I wasn't big into writing much of anything. However, I went and picked up this book again since we got a brand-new, shiny copy at the library. And lawrd, I forgot how much I love this book.

Let it be clear that this book deserves every single one of its stars.

This novel is poetic and the progression keeps you completely engaged. Despite how much description is in this novel (which is normally a killer for me), it flows so easily and is very easy understand. I cannot rave about this book enough. Just go and read the damn thing and then watch the movie because it's a beautiful adaptation to it.

However, I do want to say that I'm sad that this isn't a real story about Sayuki. I always get so sucked into the story that I forget this fact. It's written at the reader too so I feel like some facts should indeed be real facts.

And maybe I'm alone in this but I love Nobu! I ship them! Whyyyyy? Whyyy MoaG?!

yen's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring sad tense slow-paced

9shyams's review against another edition

Amazing book, felt less connected when I learnt that it's a fictional work written by a Western author.

mimireading's review

I liked it a lot until the ending, felt off.