The Green Knight (Movie Tie-In), by Anonymous

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

vel_lichor's review

adventurous lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

djasson's review

This is the third version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (by the "Pearl" poet) that I have read. This is a fast-reading translation that flows cleanly. The Notes at the end were excellent and the several introductory sections set a nice foundation, especially for those who've never read the story before, but I also learned from it. I absolutely loved the appendix which was a section of the original text, slightly modified for modern readers.

I think I still like M.S. Merwin's the best, partly due to his translation choices, and partly due to it being presented in a dual language format (the Middle English on the left page and his translation on the right).

If you've never read this story, give it a chance. It's a fast read, only about 75 paperback pages in this translation. It's a great story on multiple levels. I picked this up from one of my favorite bookshops, Browseabout Books, in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

N.B. While this is the movie tie in for the 2021 film, it is the original text and not a novelization of the movie.

sgrady's review

adventurous challenging lighthearted reflective fast-paced

This is a great edition for someone who enjoyed the 2021 film and wants to either engage with the source material for the first time, or revisit it after some time away. O'Donoghue's translation is lively and accessible, and the foreword by Lowery offers some insight into his approach towards the film adaptation.

happy_ness_honey's review

adventurous inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

obtusegrl's review

adventurous fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

cortega55's review

adventurous challenging dark inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

4.5 (but subject to move up honestly) Wow I did not expect to like this so much and I also did not expect the twist at the end! Having only watched the movie this was an absolute delight to read. While it’s a completely different story than the movie there was still so much that I got out of it. It seems kinda ridiculous praising some thing that is obviously a literary treasure but I did not expect to connect with it as much as I did. This might be the first time that I’m reading some thing that was the source material for an adaptation that I really liked and I enjoyed the source material as much as the adaptation.

ryter89's review

adventurous dark mysterious reflective fast-paced

kat_impossible's review

I'm not sure I've ever read a medieval poem before, definitely not one as long as this one. In the end, this was a lot more about kissing than the Green Knight, but that's okay?

sadleaf's review