Wonderland: An Anthology, by Marie O'Regan, Paul Kane, Angela Slatter

macmar24's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

gjj274's review

I was kindly gifted a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for review.

Anthologies can be little bit hit or miss for me. Either I really enjoy most of the stories or the majority end up being a bit too lyrical and metaphorical for me and end up going over my head. This collection was a little bit of a both, I really enjoyed some stories but others I just didn't really gel with.

As you can probably tell from the title of this anthology it is a collection of stories inspired by Alice in Wonderland. There are a large variety of stories in here, some from fairly well known authors, that range from direct retellings or continuations of the original to stories with a tenuous link such as a characters name.

This started off really promising, I really enjoyed most of the stories in the first half. However, there were a few in the second half that I didn't really gel with which was a shame. Some of my favourite stories included...

There Were No Birds to Fly by M.R. Carey - I really enjoy M.R. Carey's writing style, its atmospheric and a little bit creepy and I liked that this story took its inspiration from a less familiar part of the story.

Dream Girl by Cavan Scott - This one I particularly enjoyed. I loved the sci-fi twist at the end.

Good Dog, Alice! - This one was just super fun.

What Makes a Monster by L.L McKinney - I've previously read A Blade so Black and actually quite enjoyed it and this story was based in the same world as that book. I enjoyed getting back into that world again.

Overall, if your an Alice in Wonderland fan though I would recommend this one as there are some really interesting takes on the tale.

aaronjeffery's review

How I comes to be the treacle queen- 3.5/5
Six impossible things- 3/5
Revolution in wonder- 3.5/5

isprettycool's review

Some of the stories towards the midsection of the book were really weak and almost turned me off the novel entirely.

I’m glad I pushed through though, the last few were amongst my favourites overall.

misslupescu's review

I am always interested in how people interpret classics. Wonderland is one of my favourite realms and Alice's story is one of my faves.

In this collection there were some good, some not so good and one I skipped entirely as could not get on with it. We have horror, fantasy, classic, modern day, dystopian and just down right batty. So it's a mix.

This is a decent enough filler books as none of the stories are too long, so you could read one or two between other books.

ceejayy's review

I love Alice in wonderland I find it comforting. some of these tales inspired by wonderland gave me the same feeling, while others were very creepy or simply out there in a way only wonderland could be.
like most short stories collections some stories I loved others I didn’t but overall it was an enjoyable collection.

harleylecter's review

It was fine? Some of the stories were better than others. I didn't finish it, but I enjoyed what I got through.

georgiabooks's review

This is a collection of short stories inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland which obviously appealed to me straight away. Unfortunately I didn't love it, nor did I dislike it so to say.

Being a mix of short stories and poetry there were bound to be stories I liked and some I didn't, honestly I DID end up disliking more than I enjoyed. They were really quite odd which don't get me wrong, isn't a bad thing, but some were just too odd and I struggled to understand them or get my head around them.

I did however particularly enjoy a couple of stories, including: Wonders never cease, Dream girl, Good dog, Alice! And Eat me, drink me. I liked the fact that some were humerus, some were creepy and some were just odd in a way that I actually quite enjoyed.

utopiastateofmind's review

(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Wonderland: An Anthology travels in so many different directions. Whether it's a story that fixates on the wondrous portals in the form of rabbit holes, or the mysterious creatures that populate Wonderland. If you like any of the authors, this anthology is a sure bet. You may recognize the contributors from books of their own featuring zombies, survival stories, and fantasy worlds. This anthology makes you recall your first experiences with Alice and Wonderland.

full review; https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/review-wonderland-an-anthology-edited-by-marie-oregan-paul-kane/

luanam's review against another edition

This one was a 3 because unfortunately I only enjoyed approximately half of the stories and ended up skipping many of the others. However, I have to say, of the ones I enjoyed, there were some there that were truly fantastic and shone through at anywhere between a four to a five grade, making this a book well worth borrowing from the library.

The stories I did enjoy ranged from; an Alice on a mission in the Old West version of our world to track down the rabbit who is guilty of abducting children and collaborating to put in place systems of local oppression; an Alice as a cunning kickass old woman confronting both the rise of fascism in the UK between the wars and her deadly contract with the Queen; one that took the perspectives of the cats from Alice's story; Alice and her very good dog and her plan that sees her vanquish a real world peril of sexual abuse - there was so much sorrow but triumph wrapped in this one; And finally one eco dystopian scifi one that kept the names and some physical aspects but definitely and defiantly made it its own.

One other thing I did miss from this anthology, is that unlike some others, the stories do not come with author notes at the end of each, where inspiration or link ties are expanded on.