The Wolf Border, by Sarah Hall

hollyfromthebigsky's review against another edition

SO, I have a confession. If a book has the word "wolf" or "wolves" in the title, there's like a 540% higher chance that I'll buy it. Ever since I read Julie of the Wolves as a kid, I've been a sucker....

I'm not sure if I bought this because of that or because if was reviewed positively by a BookRiot contributor, or for some other reason, but I bought it and in lingered on my Kindle for awhile.

It was not what I expected. For some reason, I think I got it mixed up with another book I'd heard of that was more postapocalyptic. This is a quiet tale, but there's still so much going on. It tackles ideas of freedom, parenting, community, wealth and privilege, and the wild in the midst of the settled. It was fun to read it after visiting the UK this fall, as I felt much more strongly than I would have before the sense of place.

A good, enjoyable read.

kaydee's review against another edition

I've long had a thing for wolves, l've long had a thing for Sarah Hall and I have a very romantic view of rewilding so it was a given that I was going to love this.

The descriptive writing here is expansive and beautiful but there's something quite subtle and serene about the novel too. A creeping freedom for Rachel, her family, her wolves and, in what I thought was a wonderful twist, Scotland (who, in this fictional reality, voted for independence in the 2014 referendum).

An almost perfect winter read.

mattstebbins's review against another edition

I both understand completely why Sarah Hall's been up for so many awards and recognize that I'm rarely in the place where I want to read lit fic anymore. On a sentence level, this was frequently gorgeous; I actually think it would have worked really well as an audiobook for precisely that reason. At her best, some of her descriptions reminded me of a less sardonic Flannery O'Connor.

I just had a hard time getting invested, I think. When all of the character development comes as a result of your protagonist's observations, it can be difficult to build much depth, especially if the reader doesn't fully connect with that protagonist. As a result, all of Hall's sentence-level work often fell a bit flat for me—though I can certainly understand that if you, as a reader, connected with Rachel Caine, then this story could be tremendously powerful and effective.

ramalam98's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark reflective slow-paced

ketonks's review against another edition

It's a little early to call it but I think this might be my favourite book of the year. Just good, solid, inviting writing. I felt apart of Rachel's world, understood her, even when her decisions surprised me. So much fun to read with such detailed research by the author to beckon me. Loved every word.

danibear's review

adventurous emotional hopeful informative reflective sad slow-paced

anelisa's review against another edition

Goed en eerlijk: sommige stukken heb ik snelsnel raprap gelezen. Maar al bij al erg genoten van het verblijf bij Rachel op het landgoed, bij de wolven. Goeie personages ook. En rake observaties over het krijgen van een kind.

zakyya's review against another edition

Pathetic & powerful. How else to put it?

juliemiaholmes's review

Re-wilding wolves into the British landscape....what's not to like? Beautiful writing.

widae's review against another edition

slow-paced

It's so boooooring, to be honest I skimmed the last two chapters because I never DNF books but I just couldn't take it anymore.

It could have been more tolerable, if I had been expecting this king of story, but the blurb made it seem as if the story was gonna be all about wolves and its NOT, IT'S NOT, it's about self-doubt and childhood trauma and all the ways it can impact someone's experience of motherhood and, just, life in general.

All I wanted was baby wolves and it delivered an actual human baby smh