Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, by Kathleen Rooney

tdswans's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

murrbenn's review against another edition

I picked it because it was inspired by Margaret Fishback and I loved the character, it didn't disappoint. Appreciated the introduction to the Phoebe Snow advertising - so brilliant. Also can relate to the love of discovering a city by walking.

dmwhipp's review against another edition

Insightful, charming, and well written account of an elderly New Yorker reminiscing about her past as she walks the city on New Year's Eve. Lillian explores her past career as a poet and Macy's highest paid ad woman, how her career affected her life, as well as the changes in the city she loves so dearly. Fictional account, but Lillian is based on Margaret Fishback, Macy's highest paid female in the advertising department in the mid-twentieth century.

queenjojo7's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

cilie's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

A very charming book that is to a large extent carried by the wonderfully spunky old lady, Lillian Boxfish, narrating the story. We follow her one new years eve as she stroll down memory lane and thus get most of her life story. New York plays a mayor part in this story, so in many ways it is the story og advertisement, love and the big appel from the beginning of the 19-hundrets through to new years eve 1984.

jacquelynvrl's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

emilyparrishh's review against another edition

I liked it, but didn’t LOVE it.

nlevesque27's review against another edition

While I think the writing was beautiful, I was very VERY bored while reading this. I kept expecting something interesting to happen so it would keep my attention, but unfortunately, that was not the case.

Book 25/30 (2021)

juliepjones's review against another edition

I read this book slowly, wanting to extend Lillian’s walk as long as I could. Her wit, her humor, her insights... and the fact that she always knew just what to say...

I adore her, and if only I had lived in a different time and a different place... I know we would have been friends.

hannahreadslotsofbooks's review against another edition

First book finished for the new year is Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney! This was my pick for my book club this month and overall I’d say it was ok. I chose this book for my book club pick because it has been sitting on my shelf since I got it from @bookofthemonth a few years ago, but always wanted to read it. I was intrigued by the premise and it reminded me of plots similar to Fredrick Back man’s books, which I have greatly enjoyed. The book goes back and forth between Lillian’s NYE walk in NYC in 1984 and her younger years as a copy writer at Macy’s in the 1930s. I enjoyed her walk in 1984 chapters more so than her flashback chapters. The character in 1984 was endearing and charming, but her younger self I felt was very pompous and egotistical. The younger version chapters made the book ok for me instead of great. However, I feel like I would be willing to read more of Kathleen Rooney’s work in the future because the book was enjoyable.