A Hidden Hope, by Laura Ambrose, Laura Lam

robynldouglas's review

An excellent little novella featuring two SFF writers who reconnect at a Con in London, and remember all the reasons they initially fell for each other. Lots of fun.

manxnpn's review

iamrainbou's review

The premise sounds amazing; a contemporary rivals to lovers + second chance romance, two Fantasy writers meet again in a convention, sparks fly!

But I wasn't so sure about the execution. I was a little bit frustrated with the MCs, especially because they fight for lack of communication. I just hate miscommunication in romance, we could save so much pain if characters! just! talk! And I get it, their first fight, the one that ripped them apart, but fighting again and not talking it out? Ughhh

It's not a bad book, not all! Just it didn't work for me.

A copy was provided by the author in exchange of an honest review.

laurabc's review

This was a super cute f/f romance story! I loved the characters -- they were both realistic and I love that they both learnt and grew from their mistakes, especially in a short novella. I really enjoyed the insider's look into the publishing industry as well. As a qualified editor, the explanations of building an author career, how auctions work, author letters and more, was so fun to read. I agreed with so many of Ambrose's grievances with the industry as well.
I highly recommend this book!

judeinthestars's review

3.5*.
I sometimes got the feeling that at least one of the characters had first been written as male then « turned » into a woman. But the story still worked so it’s okay. I really liked that one of the MC had social anxiety and how it played in the story.

laurenjamesauthor's review

Sweet, funny, and very accurate to the publishing industry, this was a joy to read.

sprinklesugarbunbun's review

I'm glad I purchased this after seeing it recommended by a favorite author. The story was quick, cute, and tender. In the beginning, it felt a bit slow, but once El appeared, I was hooked and rooting for their romance. I liked the way Natalie and El balanced each other. They make a good pair, especially when they confront their fears and problems, addressing and talking through them together.

It was a fun way to spend an evening, escaping the world to follow these two writers on their journeys of publication and love.

One star was taken away due to little errors, like the wrong pronouns used for El at times--he instead of she--that took me momentarily out of the story.

adragoninspace's review

This was cute and made me smile on some occasions. I don't usually read romance but the fact that it was a f/f story set at a sff convention made me want to read it. I felt like the setting actually wasn't very important, I'm not familiar with romance novels structure so I'm not sure how to judge this. I also picked it up because I liked what this author wrote on the sff field but I felt something was missing for me to be completely won over by this story.
I liked the name drop of many sff writers that I like and the bits about writing, publishing and feminism though!

pinkadot89's review

+Lovers to enemies to lovers, second chance, F/F Romance!
+El and Natalie are authors attending a convention which is the first time they've seen or spoken to each other in three years!
+El's surprise date for Natalie is the greatest thing ever! I want to gooo! "I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."

-Falling into old patterns, and stupid fight. This is too short for an unnecessary fight!

hisham's review

A Hidden Hope is a very geeky Romance (f/f) novella, primarily set at a London(ish) based Scifi convention.

The two main characters are adorable together and I want more! 😍

I don't normally read Romance - but when I do It has to be geeky and this certainly is.

If you read this novella and love it as much as I did, the author Laura Ambrose also has a free prequel available as a freebie when you sign up to her mailing list.