The Chance to Fly, by Stacy Davidowitz, Ali Stroker

mickey_west20's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

This is the disability representation I have been searching for my entire life!

As a disabled woman striving to be in the arts, specifically theatre and film, I greatly connected to this story and Natalie's character. I appreciate everything that this book did, and I wish that I would've had this book growing up. I am so happy that disabled kids and other kids who feel like they don't belong will have this book to show them that there is a place for them and that they can achieve their dreams.

stephpaigesofbooks's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This book is Own Voices.

emileereadsbooks's review

adventurous funny inspiring fast-paced

Thank you to PRH Audio for this complementary audiobook.

This book deserves a standing ovation, because it is all I want in a middle grade novel. It has a protagonist who is relatable, but unique (Nat is paralysed and in a wheelchair and loves musicals). It has supportive parents. It has stuff about developing and maintaining friendships. It has the characters dealing with real emotions. It is fun! And it made me a little misty eyed at the conclusion. Plus the author who is herself in a wheelchair and a Broadway star narrates the audio and when she sings it will make you feel all the feels! I listened to this entire book in one day because I did not want to stop because it made me so happy reading it.

*I will say that as with many middle grade books, the protagonist disobeys her parents and is in my opinion not sufficiently punished. This doesn't detract from the story, but is worth noting so parents know to discuss this with their kids.

hippiegrrl's review

hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

fadedpages's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

jswense's review

This was super cute! Even as an adult all the little Broadway references made me smile.
At times the dialogue felt a little unnatural but overall I really liked Nat and her friends.
This is the perfect book for any Broadway obsessed kid or kid who wants to learn more about musical theatre.