Reviews tagging Violence

Darkdawn, by Jay Kristoff

dragonslover's review against another edition

dark sad tense medium-paced

nekromancess's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

midnight_rose_reads's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

abookishwasp's review against another edition

This book is a masterpiece. This entire series is a masterpiece. If you haven't read this yet then drop everything and read it!!! I won't say anything else because i will spoil the ending but just make it your life's mission to read this!

trigger warning for sexual content and a lot of violence and gore.

journeythroughthechapters's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

Thoughts
I'm conflicted. I don't know if I liked this book or not. As I was reading it I didn't feel compelled to keep picking it up and to me that's a sign I wasn't fully invested in this book. But I'm saying that I didn't hate it.

Things I liked
- The Relationships: Specifically the loyalty. I love the loyalty Mia fosters around her and in turn projects. She hurts deeply when someone she loves dies and will do anything for the ones she loves. That is something I love and respect in characters.
- The Action: there was a lot of mini plots and side quests to get to the bigger overarching plot. I like this plot style but I do feel the book was dragged out a bit. But overall I think it was done well.

Things I didn't love
- The Writing: this got to me a little bit this time round. It was trying to be funny but towards the end it got a bit much. I mainly mean the section where the author breaks the forth wall. He takes the piss out of the footnotes and I felt like it was just flogging a dead horse. It was just unnecessary.
- The Pacing: I talked a bit about that above. But there were some mini battles that were super short and that surprised me.
- The Romance: my biggest gripe is they were written to be this iconic OTP BUT all there was in my eyes was smut. And if that's what it was written to be that they were with each other for the sex I'd be down for that. But there was a push that they were each other's one true love but there wasn't enough emotional scenes for me to believe they were meant to be.

It was a decent conclusion but I felt a little underwhelmed unfortunately.

Representation
Gay (side character), Albino (side character), Bisexual (main character), POC (side character)

Trigger Warning
Violence, Blood, Child Rape (mention no description), Child Abuse/Violence, Suicide, Self Harm

auntie's review

adventurous dark emotional funny fast-paced

I loved, loved, loved this. Listened to the audiobook, excellent narration. Rounded off the trilogy very well. There is a running gag with footnotes and some meta responses to criticism of the previous two books that is both well written and hilarious. The love triangle is dealt with in a very real and human way. On that subject, a note to those who wished it had gone the other way - there's a difference between doing something to prove your love and then DEMANDING you be loved for, and doing something to prove your love and expecting nothing in return. Wonderful to see queer representation in this novel. Characters are so memorable. I can already feel that this trilogy will be one of those stories that will stay with me for a long time.

finkydink's review

Got to chapter 35, author killed off
SpoilerAsh
. I'm sick of the
Spoilerbury your gays
trope, so I decided to stop reading. I also was not a fan of how "meta" the book became. After 2 books of great storytelling, the finale fell short.

breezer's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

What a (quite literally) earth shattering ending. Couldn't ask for anything more

kommatator's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced