The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr.

myotinae's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

equal parts useful advice and dated, prescriptivist grousing. I'm glad I read it but likely won't be referring to it in the future.

thombeckett's review against another edition

Although this book has a focus on US conventions and is in places arcane, it still provides some useful advice and is worth reading if you want to write more clear and succinct prose.

mbourque22's review against another edition

funny informative inspiring medium-paced

bdplume's review against another edition

Perhaps the most indispensable guide for writing.

catlandia91's review against another edition

informative

It's hard to really rate this book, but I'll stick with 3 stars. There's a lot of helpful advice for writers that is mostly relevant to modern readers. Reading this really reminds me of how lackluster my English education was-- I am unfamiliar with some of the technical grammar terms, so that made some of the guidance hard to understand. I did appreciate the glossary in the back for this exact reason.

While I did not agree with some of the guidance offered by Strunk, I appreciated the brief and snappy format of the rules.

As for my issues-- while some of the examples helped illustrate a point, others were bad. Some of the "bad" examples were convoluted messes that might not help the reader recognize more natural mistakes and errors in their own and others' writing. Other examples would greatly benefit from a breakdown of what's right/wrong or what makes one sentence better than the other sentence.

The evolution of language makes some of this guidance feel obsolete or fussy, but I still learned quite a bit.

White's chapter on style made excellent points, but I think it could have been shorter. Nevertheless, this is a great jumping off point for all writers.

zoey1999's review against another edition

Useful but hard to comprehend.

vandana's review against another edition

Useful and succinct. Although, a bit dated in some respects.

oliviaares's review against another edition

We had to read this book cover to cover in ap lang and I thought that was a stupid idea. You know what? I think about this book all the damn time. All. The. Damn. Time. Because a lot of eloquent writing is exclusive on purpose. The best writing is universal.

ellenkyo's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

louiselle's review

As a perfectionist who’s so afraid of being judged, I familiarized myself with most grammatical rules. Still, this book contained a few things I’m not much familiar with, so it comes in handy most of the time.

I read this last year as a preparation for wricons. Helped a lot.