The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr.

carpentoid's review against another edition

Great overview of all the necessary components of good English. It's a concise enough manual to warrant going back to many times, and the surprising amount of humor makes it an engaging read.

chatsoir's review against another edition

--- Jan. 27, 2009 ---

I am in the middle of this book right now. I do find it to be a fast read, however I kept mistaking the left column as the correct examples and the right column as the wrong ones so I had to take a pen and put a box around the correct sentences in the right column. Also I am not familiar with a lot of the grammatical terms that Shrunk uses and was at a loss at some of his descriptions however I discovered a little bit late that there is a glossary in the back.

--------------------------------
I've had this book since freshman year of college and never read it ... hopefully I'll get around to reading it this winter.

The reason I suddenly remembered this book is because I got hung up over a sentence while commenting on a political debate. Should it be:
"If not Hillary, then who?" or
"If not Hillary, them whom?"

As it turns out both can be correct depending on the rest of the thought ...
If not Hillary, then who should be secretary of stat?
If not Hillary, then whom should Obama select as secretary of state?

sammystarbuck's review against another edition

An interesting little volume, which contains part sound advice, part outdated advice and part bad advice. And I guess there are also parts that are simply American, and thus of little use to someone in the UK, except for interest's sake.

The most amusing thing though, is that it would seem that Mr. Strumk & Mr. White were forced to read a lot of Victorian literature, and decided to write a style guide meant to try and dissuade people from writing books like those. Almost every "don't do this" example is exactly what you'd find in a Victorian novel. Made me chuckle, anyway.

mickified's review against another edition

Essential for any writer.

familyguy026's review against another edition

Has some good guidelines, but the 4th chapter could be skipped easily. Outdated uses of old words. A few times, the author breaks the rule he's telling you not to break in the description of the rule. It's weird.

prithviatreides's review against another edition

This is such a very short book packed with a lot of useful information. If you're looking to polish up your writing, this is the perfect book for you. It will guide you with the rules of writing in English, and help you make your writing concise and impactful!

tammyp20156's review against another edition

Great book

I like this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in studying grammar. I like that it shows recommendation in learning to writing.

meganivy04's review against another edition

Grammar rules and writing conventions are needed, but I definitely struggled with this book’s set of rules. They seem rigid and some seem out of date. Not sure why exactly... I just don’t see myself turning to this book for writing suggestions versus another book. That said, I understand the significance of this book: It has influenced many other books that I DO enjoy and can see myself going back to time and again for writing advice. So while the star rating is lower based off my personal use of the book, I appreciate it for what it is.

upsilon's review against another edition

informative fast-paced

christiesbooks's review against another edition

A must read for writers

This book is the essential go-to for any type of writer for all things (rules of) writing. A definite recommendation!