Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

grayjay's review against another edition

It was fun reading a classic TSR novel after many years since reading a few in my teens.

Drizzt is a young noble from the dark elf city in the Underdark. A matriarchal city ruled by the laws of treachery and deceit as espoused by their spider goddess Lolth. Drizzt is a rarity among dark elves in that evil does not come naturally to him—his passion for his internal sense of ethics is a constant source of weakness in the eyes of his ambitious family.

It was fun to see how an "evil" kingdom could possible work without destroying itself, but such a thought experiment requires a very strongly divided conception of good and evil in order for one to put the other into relief. At time it seemed simplistic, but it was still fun.

letheaster's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Enjoyed it a lot, i am very eager to continue reading this series

lizthescaredycat's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense slow-paced

msmith13's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

horoxv's review against another edition

"It is definitely a fantastic gateway into what I expect to be and many others claim is one of the best characters in the fantasy genre. Though not amazed, I did devour this book and plan on finishing the series."

“To lose is to die! You may win a thousand fights, but you can only lose one!”

Homeland is the entryway into a...30-something? book long series about the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden and his many adventures. You see his birth, childhood, and young adulthood in this book and I enjoyed almost all of it.

One thing I've noticed about this series so far, is the relationships. I don't think the characters themselves are particularly deep, nor is the plot very original or exciting, but the relationships between characters, good and bad, are outstanding.
Drizzt and Guenhwyvar is one of the best partnerships of man/beast that I've read in quite a while. Not on the level of Fitz and Nighteyes, but still a great and enjoyable duo to read about.

Things I loved:
* Drizzt's relationships to other characters in the world.
* The idea and plotline behind someone raised in an evil culture/society who realizes that it's wrong.
* Zak was an awesome mentor, resigned to his fate but not mentally given into evil.

Things I liked:
* Learning about the drow elf society.
* The trials during Drizzt's academy years.
* All of the various magical artifacts/spells/locations.

Things I didn't like.
* The underdark. That place was boring as hell to read about.
* The characters all were very predictable on the surface level and one dimensional. Fortunately this was only individually and the relationships between them (I know, I'll keep saying it) were great.
* For a race of supremely evil people who would kill you as soon as look at you for speaking out of turn, disobeying, etc. Drizzt sure got a lot of "exceptions" or "passes".

Overall it was a fun light read, with nothing incredible nor nothing absoulely horrible. It is definitely a fantastic gateway into what I expect to be and many others claim is one of the best characters in the fantasy genre. Though not amazed, I did devour this book and plan on finishing the series. I wouldn't recommend it over my giant list of INCREDIBLE fantasy books, but I definitely wouldn't tell anyone not to read it if interested.

“more than survive, my son, as I have survived. Live! Be true to the callings in your heart.”
4/5 stars.

katsby0105's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

pterodaddy's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious medium-paced

Honestly one of my favorite books ever. Highly recommended

m00s39t8's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

queenvengance's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense slow-paced

whiitewalker's review against another edition

“There is no pain greater than this; not the cut of a jagged-edged dagger nor the fire of a dragon's breath. Nothing burns in your heart like the emptiness of losing something, someone, before you truly have learned of its value.”

He estado retrasando comenzar con la trilogía de El Elfo Oscuro por el simple hecho de que me estaba leyendo El Archivo de las Tormentas, pero también porque algo me decía que iba a devorar los libros. Y, en efecto, me he comido tan fuerte La Morada que joder HE COOKED. Drizzt, hijo mío, qué mal lo has pasado y qué bien has salido. Los Drows son una sociedad matriarcal a la que no querría acercarme ni con un palo, y al Underdark no me lleven que me asusto, gracias.