alicea's review

I don't know when I'll learn that short story collections by multiple authors just aren't my jam. :-/

btrz7's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

Some of the first stories were pretty disappointing.
I enjoyed Wings in the Morning (the reason I read the anthology in the first place), and Left Foot, Right. The Mercurials and Son of Abyss intrigued me a lot and I feel like I could have read much more of each one if they had been longer.

grandtheftautumn's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

bramblinggs's review

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

A collection of stories centred around the monstrous and loving the monster, there are a few stories that really stood out to me (Moriabe’s Children, Quick Hill,  The Diabolist, Son of Abyss). Beyond these stories, I feel that the others were a little more middle of the road. Most of them feel less… Impactful, if that makes any sense.

bookcryptid's review

Moriabe’s Children 5 stars

This one was just beautiful. I didn’t see that coming until towards the end when I started to wonder if she was related to the Kraken or going to be involved with them in some way, I just didn’t know-how. It was just so good. I can’t even really tell you everything I liked. The writing was beautiful and I loved how the true monster in the story was not the krakens but her stepfather. It was just so beautiful.

Old Souls 3 stars

It was pretty good. A little pretentious but whatever. Though I was a little disappointed when it came to Brooke. I love vampires and have for a while. He just wasn’t what I was hoping for when it comes to a vampire. He had that kind of boomer mentality and it just wasn’t what I wanted. Also, I will say that I predicted that he was a vampire pretty soon after we met him.

Ten Rules for Being an Intergalactic Smuggler (the Successful Kind) 5 stars

This one was really good. Out of the three that I’ve read so far, this is the one that I would love a bigger story for. I love an unlikely friendship and this one had a pretty good one. This one would make sure a good novel.

Quick Hill 4 stars

Okay, this was an experience. It’s so hard to describe the story. But it was good. My problem with it was the fact that there wasn’t really a monster. I would have liked to know more about the hill itself. What the hell was it. A ghost, just some hill. And why are all of their problems solved by a Thwait marring the hill? But other than that it was pretty good. Defiantly the weirdest. But I like books about World War 2 and I liked the characters along with the slight talk of war.

The Diabolist 3 stars

Defiantly an interesting concept. A little confusing but I think I got it. Kind of. Still just not my favorite.

The Whole Demoning Thing 5 stars

This one was really good. I don’t really know how to describe what I liked about it. I’m not surprised though. This particular story was the whole reason that I picked up the whole thing in the first place.

Wings in the Morning 5 stars

Oh my god, I loved this one so much. It was a classic enemy to lovers story and was just plain beautiful. I’m not normally someone for enemies to lovers romances but I loved the romance anyways.

Left Foot, Right 3 stars

Yet another really weird one. It felt just too fast I found have loved to have the story be just a little longer to explain just a little more.

The Mercurials

I got like 10 pages into this one and I’m just not finishing it. It’s just too boring.

Kitty Capulet and the Invention of Underwater Photography 4 stars

I liked the environmental message in this story. It’s a really nice message.

Son of Abyss 4 stars

What a ride dude. I just have no idea what the hell to say about this one.

A Small Wild Magic 5 stars

I liked the art style and it was a short and cute story. It was nice.

The New Boyfriend 3 stars

I thought that it was pretty good at first but then I started to get bored. The ending was good though.

The Woods Hide in Plain Sight 4 stars

A much better vampire story. I did really like the twist at the end. I thought from the way that it was going to be just another angsty vampire love story which isn’t really my kind of vampire love story.

Mothers, Lock Up Your Daughters Because They Are Terrifying 5 stars

This one was really good. Wasn’t expecting the incest but whatever. I felt bad for Ronnie. I just wanted her to have a happy ending.

seashelleyo's review

Only ended up reading some of the short stories — loved Wings in the Morning, which is what I came for after In Other Lands, but none of the other stories really caught me.

nosillacat's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

sunnys_books's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

I enjoyed a couple of the stories but most of them I simply didn't. It was hard to get through some of these and I had to skip a couple of them

rachelkc's review

adventurous challenging dark funny mysterious medium-paced

pupbeat's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

It starts off with a bang, I'd say the first story is the best of the bunch!