Firebreak, by Nicole Kornher-Stace

butteredgarbage's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

northernzephyr's review against another edition

too dystopian for my brain at the moment!

mpeteuil's review

I picked this up mostly because:

•  A future where companies run everything and there's only a handful of them
  •  Water scarcity
  •  Greed
  •  Introverted protagonist
  •  and more

Yes, sign me up for an exploration of a world like that. I was fully on-board with exploring all those ideas.

Overall I enjoyed it and I'm glad I read it. I would read it again too. I found that I didn't have any real attachment to the characters until 50 to 66 percent of the way through the book though. Some of the plot felt like it could have been stronger as well. The last third of the book was great though, which made up for the OK to Good of the parts before that.

I think a 3.5 - 4.0 for me.

aseriesofvariousevents's review against another edition

Firebreak was the science fiction story I didn't know I needed. Far too much of sci-fi is men just doing cool stuff with technology, but this story turned that all on its head. Mal was one of the coolest protagonists I've read, and she, with the help of Jessa (and others), stuck up for what was right, consequences be damned. The world in this story was capitalism on a terrifying scale and it was both fascinating and heartbreaking to witness how this had tremendously affected characters on both sides of the class divide. Despite Mal's interactions with SpecOps being brief (both digitally and in person), their stories were still so powerful and made the story that much more impactful. The complex emotions of Mal and others felt very real, and, in some ways, this corporate country had deep echoes of our own. The characters in this book were captivating and the story was such an important addition to science fiction as a whole.

Thank you to NetGalley and Gallery Books for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

tenasadie's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

deboraha's review against another edition

adventurous sad tense medium-paced

stlkatiek's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

This story was centered around a poor gamer (with hints of Ready Player One) in a world controlled by a government/corporate entity controlling the water supply, which has essentially become currency. Part dystopian story, part critique of capitalism, the story also featured celebrity super-soldiers (with hints of later Hunger Games books). There was a lot going on and a little bumpy to start, but definitely made up for it with some intriguing parallels to today's world.

theocean's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

bookplaits's review