The Inexplicable Logic of My Life, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

late_stranger's review against another edition

I'm so glad I read this book - it reminds me of what YA can and should be, and also what good it can do in the world. This was such a fast read and such a perfect line into the consciousness of a teenage boy. Saenz does such a beautiful job of representing intersecting identities and loving, positive relationships, and I love his characters.

Frankly, this book is not Aristotle and Dante, but it was heartwarming and beautiful.

junkyardigan's review against another edition

Aww! Super cute, and a little bittersweet. Simplistic, but it has a strong plot and heartfelt dialogue.

tessakarsten's review against another edition

This book had to grow on me for a bit, but once it had me I couldn’t bear to let go. Something about it made me feel at home within the setting, characters and storyline despite it not resonating with me all that much. Strong one liners conveyed an incredible message of hope. You zig and zag and then you wake up and zig and zag some more. Incredible.

crookedbookstagram's review against another edition

I didn't think this book could come anywhere close to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe but it did and I loved it.

Sal's life has always been a simple and happy one. He's got an amazing father, an awesome bestfriend and his grandmother is his everything (and he is hers). But all of a sudden, he's throwing punches and doesn't even know why.

Benjamin Alire Sáenz is a wonderful storyteller and he brings his characters alive with very real struggles, thoughts and actions. There wasn't a character I didn't care about and the audiobook brought tears to my eyes on a number of occassions. I'll definitely going through the rest of his works and this is yet another library book that I'll have to add to my personal library.

Audiobook Narrated by Robbie Daymond

malegerones's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective relaxing fast-paced

jenn_queer_librarian720's review against another edition

A beautifully lyrical novel about life, love, language and acceptance.

vidya's review against another edition

emotional hopeful

I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK <spoiler>BUT WHATS WITH THE AUTHOR GIVING EVERYONE DADDY ISSUES AND KILLING EVERYONES MOM</spoiler>

meganchair's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

electroclan17's review against another edition

I absolutely loved it! It's such a magical story (without actual magic). I just fell in love with the characters as soon as I started reading it. The ending was a satisfying conclusion.

dewey7962's review against another edition

Benjamin Alire Saenz has a way of putting feelings into words in a way unlike any other author I've read. Even with simple, every day moments, I find myself chugging along, reading, and then bam...so many emotions. How does he do that?! Sal's friendships with Sam and and Fito are so lovely, pure, and supportive, and his relationship with his dad and his grandma are heart-stoppingly beautiful. This book was sad and sweet and happy and a million emotions in between. No one can simultaneously break your heart and make you feel like you're overflowing with happiness the way Saenz can.