The Inexplicable Logic of My Life, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

ptsungirl's review against another edition

"It's not other people who make you feel like you're alone. You do it to yourself."

°•*⁀➷

How to find the words for something so beautiful. So real. The struggles that Sal finds himself going through are hard, unkind, and so much. I just wanted to give him a hug the entire time. I knew that Sam would make up for my inability to do so, though. That helped.

This book tackled death, loss, forgiveness, violence, friendship, adoption, youth to adulthood and all the changes that follow and so much more.

Everything Ben writes is magic. I want to read everything he'll ever write (if my bank account will let me).

I think my favorite part was that it wasn't just his grief, his loss, his forgiveness... it was a whole cast of characters of various ages going through it at the same time. The friendships that build from that bond can either tear you apart or lift you up, and thankfully for Sal, Sam and Fito, it's the latter. I love that the "side" characters were just as important to the reading experience as Sal was, because Sal loved them so much it was impossible to see them any other way.

And his dad? An angel put on earth just to heal a lost boy's heart. I will never forget you Vicente Silva.

I love that sometimes friendship is just friendship, that being gay isn't a personality trait, that life goes on even if you don't want it to, no matter how old you are. I love Sam questioning the world, I love Fito writing everything down. I love that forgiveness is important, but in your own time. I love that we are who we are, not where we came from.

I just love Benjamin Alire Saenz.

- Paige

rosesintherain97's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

allyxmoon's review against another edition

hopeful reflective slow-paced

kwurtzel3's review against another edition

Favorite quote:

Spoiler
She laughed and I laughed, and I guess we needed to laugh, because we couldn’t stop. Were we learning to whistle in the dark?

candegelabert's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

whounique's review against another edition

before i say anything, i would like to start off by saying: FITO HAS MY ENTIRE HEART AND I LOVE HIM.

other than that, benjamin alice sáenz is my new favorite author.

read this book and have a great day :)

alex_obsessed_415's review against another edition

Not as good as Ari and Dante, but still beautiful. His writing makes me feel something in me that just makes me feel so broken inside. I love it sm.

Some stuff happened I didn’t want to and some stuff didn’t happen that I wanted to, but heart eyes.

ale_skin's review against another edition

Este libro se sintió como un abrazo

callaina's review against another edition

oh oh oh

sadpendragon's review against another edition

Mr.Benjamin Alire Sáenz did it again. I cannot put into words and express how much I loved his story, how much I loved his characters, his words, his poetry. Sáenz’s story and words give me hope, make me extremely happy and make me cry...in a good way ;)

The only reason I took this long to read it is because I’ve been going through a hard time, but every time I took up this book to read it, it made me feel and forget.