Dark Nights: Metal: The Resistance, by Joshua Williamson

jhstack's review

The Resistance collection of the Dark Nights: Metal event is a little spotty, perhaps because it's collected separately from the actual trade collection. (e-galley from NetGalley)

thekarpuk's review

These secondary books tying into a mega-event can be such a mixed bag. At times it amazes me that some of this stuff was actually sold as single issues that they expected people to pay $4 for.

If there's one really good selling point for The Resistance, it's the first few chapters, which involve Robin and a motley crew of heroes and villains storming the mountain that grew out of Gotham in the main Dark Knight: Metal series. Each ring is controlled by a different Batman villain who received a magical metal card from The Batman Who Laughs.

This honestly could have been the whole book. Each circle could have made up a few issues, since there's rich possibilities with giving these villains complete power over a domain. But most of the pages are given over to inter-party squabbling between Robin and everyone else. In general I find super heroes working against a common enemy more compelling than when they fight amongst themselves, but the latter seems popular with many writers.

And that story ends on a pretty unsatisfying note, leaving the back half justifying its existence as a full-priced graphic novel by stuff in odds and ends from around the DC universe. I don't find many writers at DC to be deft hands at the one-shot, many of them seem constrained by 6 issues, so several of these stories I skipped after reading about half, since they failed to engage.

If you loved the main Dark Knight: Metal series, this one might be worth it on sale, but don't expect to be blown away by anything within.

carochacord's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

captwinghead's review against another edition

I really enjoy the character moments but the majority of this was a lot of exposition for the Dark Nights: Metal arc which is confusing enough as it is. I liked the strange team up of Damina Wayne, Dick Grayson, Harley Quinn, Oliver Queen and (briefly) Killer Croc. Certainly not your usual team up.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised by how much focus was placed Damian Wayne. A lot of this was about his guilt over being unable to save his father. I liked the moments where Oliver and Dick tried to comfort him.

That being said, my eyes glazed over quite a bit during all the parts that went over the Nth Metal thing again and again.

arkrayder's review

I liked these tie-ins. It’s nice to see what the other DC characters are doing during big events.

booksatlunch's review against another edition

I enjoyed this collection of stories. This collection features issues that tie into the Metal story line, but feature all of the other DC universe characters. I'm excited to read the last book in the series now and see the stories from the Dark Knights perspectives.

Thanks to DC and Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.