The Surface Breaks, by Louise O'Neill

ciaravr's review against another edition

dark hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

theocollins's review

I really enjoyed this retelling of the little mermaid and I devoured it in ONE DAY! Which I'm quite proud of. There was just...a feeling of annoyance throughout. In my opinion there weren't many strong or likeable characters, and it seemed as if they were just there so the book could exist not because they were actually good or well thought out.

I really enjoyed this version of ursula/sea witch and everyone from the shadowlands was interesting and I'm glad that there was at least one man with a redeemable quality. I also liked that they involved excepting members of the LGBTQ+ community and overall it was an enjoyable read and I would definitely recommended !! :)

lexrielle's review

I found it boring

juliaruizjim's review against another edition

2’5. Una de las peores lecturas en lo que va de año. Tenia mucho hype por este libro y me quedado un decepcionada. No me ha gustado nada.

beckybmckinney's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

ciskavb's review

3 1/2*

Deed me wel grotendeels denken aan de Disney versie.
Zitten een paar belangrijke thema's in verwoven maar de boodschap kwam niet goed bij mij binnen.
Middenstuk vond ik beetje saai. Einde vond ik redelijk goed.

Het laatste boek van dit jaar.
Moge 2019 een goed boek jaar zijn.

nienkeschuit's review

Brilliant read from Louise O’Neill. I flew through this book in a few hours.

One thing to remember is that this is very much a retelling of a fairytale. That means that author follows the plot quite closely, but also that most of the characters are not all that three-dimensional. Some of the ‘bad’ characters certainly have more depth to them than you’d get in a traditional fairytale,
Spoilerlike when Rupert in the same breath explains how Viola was too good for Oliver but also how she would never have paid Oliver any attention if he hadn’t been rich and powerful, because “that’s the only thing you whores seem to care about.”

That is a nice way to flesh out the characters, but this is still a fairytale, where most of the characters are types, if not archetypes. So I can already hear the whines of the people going #notallmen, and no, not all men (e.g. George), but in this retelling, yes, definitely most men. Yes, all of the patriarchy. And that makes a lot of sense if you look at traditional fairytales.

As someone who got introduced to the fairytale of the Little Mermaid from the Disney film, I liked that The Surface Breaks isn’t a reinvention. It meant I was able to connect parts of the story both with the Disney version and with the original fairytale that I read when I was older. That made for a comfortable read.

The Surface Breaks isn’t O’Neill’s most intricately woven tale – and that is completely fine, because it isn’t meant to be. I enjoyed it immensely for the feminist retelling that it was and I had many little smirks and ‘I see what you did there’-moments. The book could be a nice introduction to feminism, or at least an awareness of harmful tropes, for girls who grew up on Disney princesses.

O'Neill has said that she had fun with the project. You can tell. It shines through most obviously when she has the Sea King make a comment about his daughter most of us will remember as a Donald Trump quote from a while back. I love that the legal team at Scholastic signed off on that.

The racial diversity of the characters is a nice bonus. Since it is a fairytale, there's no room or need for the building of the world beyond the story, but having the most powerful human families be of colour is a small but important addition.

sunnie's review

adventurous dark inspiring slow-paced

dionaea's review

Retelling of The Little Mermaid with a feminist lens. Feminist lens means we follow the meekest but prettiest mermaid princess as she comes across a woman with a problem(they're a lesbian, being sexually abused, smart but the husband cheated so life sucks) and thinking to herself that daddy told her that a woman's only purpose is to be pretty before shrugging and then become an ear to the handsome young man that stole her heart. It was nice to see O'Neill deconstruct the instant love trope but did it have to be so long and be so boring? The little mermaid didn't have to be a kickass lady that could slit the throat of any jerk male character that looked her funny but O'Neill could have used that scalpel sharp writing and make her do something while her feet bled all over the surface. No exaggeration but this little sea cucumber doesn't do anything until the last chapter when she decides(is it really a decision when the other options suck as well?) to become a vengeful sea corpse. I also don't why this book gets praise for world building when it's literally just a world where it's great if you have a penis, less so when you don't.

Was there anything I actually liked about this book? The cover looks pretty at least.

odettebrethouwer's review against another edition

Meh.

Dankzij de readalong van BooksEverAfter las ik dit boek eindelijk. De Engelse cover is prachtig, de Nederlandse gelukkig ook. Ik snap alleen niet dat deze uitgeverij vaak een vertaling uitgeeft met een andere Engelstalige titel dan het origineel...

Wat ik goed vind aan dit boek:
SpoilerEr zit een scene in dat ons hoofdpersonage masturbeert. Dit is natuurlijk heel gewoon en heel normaal dat dat voorkomt tijdens de loop van het verhaal, maar je leest er eigenlijk nooit over. Zoiets valt me vaak pas op zodra ik erover lees. In dezelfde orde: hoofdpersonages die slapen, eten, ongesteld zijn etc. Het geeft een realistischer beeld van het hoofdpersonage.

Wat ik niet goed vind aan het boek: bijna alles verder. Het leest wel vlot weg en het is een goede hervertelling, maar ik vind het geheel nogal mwa. De wereld waar zij uitkomt heeft bepaalde opvattingen voer vrouwen en meisjes die voor onze wereld heel ouderwets zijn dat het zo expliciet is. Natuurlijk verzet ons hoofdpersonage zich er tegen en zijn er in onze wereld parallellen te trekken, maar het is gewoon geen lekker sfeertje om over te lezen vind ik.

Daarnaast vind ik het ook jammer dat
Spoileralle uitleg van hoe alles zit in de laatste hoofdstukken komt door een ander personage dat het vertelt en uitlegt, in plaats van dat we er samen met het hoofdpersonage uitkomen. Ik vind het altijd een makkelijke uitweg vanuit de schrijver, maar ik raak zelf altijd helemaal de draad kwijt van hoe het dan nou eigenlijk zat. Ik kan het nu al niet meer reproduceren..

Ik heb dit boek niet met tegenzin gelezen, maar ik heb het dus wel vandaag uitgelezen in plaats van morgen en overmorgen nog meedoen met de readalong omdat ik wel een beetje klaar was met dit middelmatige boek.

Gevoelsmatig wilde ik dit boek 3* geven, maar nu ik zo mn argumenten op een rijtje zie denk ik dat het meer 2* is. Hoewel het natuurlijk wel cool is dat
Spoilerze aan het einde voor zichzelf kiest en niet voor een kerel, ook fijn dat ze inziet dat Oli een omhooggevallen verwend kereltje is.
Maar al met al ben ik er niet over te spreken...