Reviews tagging Cursing

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

jeanniea's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

Slow for the first half of the book. Then starts to pick up and get more interesting. I appreciate the bonds and loyalty built and treasured between friends. Writing style was on the simpler side. May be more interesting if presented as a movie.

essabooks's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring medium-paced

travelthrupages's review

adventurous emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

ebelzinha's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring slow-paced

Honestly it took me a while to get into this book but I’m glad I didn’t quit it.
It’s a really empowering story, deka’s whole journey of understanding who she is and where she belongs. A true roller coaster. I did predict a couple of plot twists but there were some unthinkable ones.
I love deka, belcalis, britta, keita, adwapa and especially IXA!!!!

mybeevenme's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

moniquareadsandwrites's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful fast-paced

This book is black girl magic through and through. Deka really learns a lot about herself and her past. She’s open-minded which you don’t see from a lot of young characters. White Hands, aka Fatu, isn’t who she seems at all and I’m glad for that. This book started off so dark, like really dark, but when I lightened, boy did it ever. I was all smiles until the last page.

alexis_k0's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

This book contains lots of heavy topics so please check the triggers before reading it.

tqlikesbooks's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious fast-paced

“We all have a choice right now. Are we girls or are we demon? Are we going to die or are we going to survive?”

The Gilded Ones was one of my most anticipated releases of 2021, as such I had very high expectations. While ultimately it didn't meet those expectations, The Gilded Ones is a very promising debut fantasy novel.

For a YA fantasy, this was pretty brutal. With a world rife with misogyny, violence and oppression which, even as an adult reader, was pretty jarring. I am sure this could make many readers uncomfortable, particularly considering the younger audience this is targeted at. I will say that I ultimately enjoyed the feminist themes of the story, of fighting against a patriarchal system and the quite literal demonization of women.

I found the book really hard to get into in the beginning, the writing did not appeal to me and was bogged down with exposition- explaining every little detail of Deka's life and the upcoming ritual. However, slowly the story seemed to find it's rhythm and I started to enjoy it. The plot had a few intriguing twists and turns throughout and unfolded at a pretty fast pace, which kept me gripped throughout. Tough the writing at times was very clichéd, and this was particularly obvious with some of the character's dialogue and Deka's internal voice.

One of the elements of the story I enjoyed most was the focus on female friendships; the bond Deka shared with her bloodsisters was built on trust, loyalty and empathy. This is something I always want to see more of in YA ANY stories. Deka's character development happened in a really convincing way as she starts to question the world around her, and her and her friends place in it. However, some characters did lack the depth that I would have liked to see.

The romance element felt rushed, with Deka and her 'love interest' sharing a kiss at the end because this is a YA book and oh no the story is almost over and no one has kissed the main character yet! Don't get me wrong, I understand why Keita and Deka's relationship was important from a story point of view but it really didn't seem like it needed to be a romantic one.

Overall, some elements of The Gilded Ones fell flat for me, but it was nevertheless an enjoyable and interesting start to a YA fantasy trilogy and I'm definitely excited to see where this story goes.

dhwani's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

remy_licked_my_book's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I was super excited to receive this book in my Owlcrate subscription box. It did not disappoint! This is an incredible story about a brave woman named Deka, living in a time when women are bled to find out if they're pure or demons when they come of age. Demons are identified by their gold blood. Bleed gold and you are succumbed to the Death Mandate, that is until the year that Deka bleeds gold and she is offered a choice, the choice to join a new army of women just like her to fight off the treacherous deathshrieks that have been terrorizing her nation for generations.

I thought the character development was excellent. I loved Deka and the friendships that she made with the other girls. I thought the natural progression of Deka and Keita's partnership was smooth. I enjoyed watching them grow and bond throughout the book. I thought the action scenes were intense and kept me wanting to read more. I can't wait for the next book in the series!