Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

layne_and_literature_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

caraebs's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

an original idea, a book I don't regret reading but I found the plot to be fleshed out with lots of developments and twists that weren't always predictable but unbalanced: some topics seemed to take up an unusual amount of description while others were a few sentences. I found myself saying "oh we're doing THAT now?" or "when did this become a thing/happen?" I also struggled to enjoy the heroine as she seemed perpetually and frustratingly in denial until the last 50 pages which was quite frustrating as a reader to see a very minimal/rushed arc to her character. The supporting characters were enjoyable.

libraryfairyrachel's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

mekeisha's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

thevietvegan's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional fast-paced

It’s extremely violent and graphic. But an interesting world 🤷🏻‍♀️ The pacing is jarring at times, things feel very skipped over, or fast forwarded. The author is a screen writer though, so this makes a lot of sense. Dialogue game strong, plot twist game strong. Ixa is everything haha.

florafauna's review

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

alannah_m's review

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

I would give my heart and soul for Britta, so jot that down.

This book was so compelling that I read it pretty much in one day. The characters were fantastic, and no spoilers but while a little predictable, I loved where the story went. While I’m taking .75 off for pacing, because I felt the ending was a little rushed, overall I really enjoyed this. At first I thought maybe it was a little too happy but, you know what? Why shouldn’t books be happy- especially right now.

bybookandbone's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

Wow, this book.
I think this may be the best young adult novel that I have read. It's certainly my new favourite YA.

The subject matter presented in The Gilded Ones is both generally more grave and also treated with the respect it deserves. I was immediately drawn to Deka and her initial want to fit into the extreme patriarchal society she was born into. It broke my heart to see what she was willing to accept because it's what she is taught. Its also horribly realistic in that regard.
I love how the author manages to depict a new fantasy world without being overly descriptive. Just a perfect amount of imagery for this story.

Truly, I could gush about so many aspects of this book but I'd end up spoiling it. One tiny spoiler incoming because I loved it so much
Spoiler there is a really chaste romance in The Gilded Ones. I normally hate romances in YA because their so dramatic and sometimes I feel like a creep because I'm an adult. I don't want to read about teens lusting after each other. However, in this incidence. It actually feels like a real teenage romance, especially in a chaste society. I loved it.

Anyway that's enough gushing.
I will say that any reader should heed the content warnings. There is a lot of violence, particularly against women.

theforgottenstoryteller's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

plumpaperbacks's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I went into The Gilded Ones expecting a fun fantasy story, and was surprised not only by its heavier themes but also by just how good it was from the very beginning.

This is one of the most unique, immersive stories I’ve read in some time. Forna created a brilliantly intricate world that, despite a few basic similarities to other fictional worlds, is overall unlike any I’ve read about before. The mythology is so vivid it nearly seems real, the creatures and setting so impressively creative, yet none of it is confusing or difficult to understand.

Forna outdid herself writing a complex, diverse and lovable cast of characters. Deka is a protagonist I rooted for as soon as I met her, and it took very little time for me to be equally charmed by her friends, Britta, Belcalis, and Adwapa. These girls have endured so many hardships and gotten stronger because of them, without losing their vulnerability or the best parts of their personalities. Not only were they all great on their own, but their friendship was phenomenal and so heartwarming. One of the best girl squads I’ve ever read about, undeniably.

I would say the romance was one of the best parts, but honestly, every part of this book could be described the same way. The romance is subtle until the final third of the book, when it becomes clear that Deka and Keita have feelings for each other that go beyond friendship. Their slow-burn romance is memorable because it’s written differently than those in so many other books. It’s focused not on passion and lust but a deep connection between two people, a tender, unwavering affection. I love them so much, more than I can express.

Although the ending was emotional in numerous ways, it wasn’t a cliffhanger, and I appreciate that very much. Even without one, I’m extremely eager for the second book. I’ll be eagerly awaiting any scrap of news I can find.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s spectacular in every aspect, and the fact that it’s Forna’s debut novel is mind-blowing. I can definitely see the Deathless trilogy becoming an all-time favorite, since the first book is already there. Highly, highly recommended for those who can handle the content.

Representation
  • Black protagonist
  • side characters of color (includes Black rep)
  • sapphic side characters
  • minor sapphic side romance (f/f)