Reviews tagging Misogyny

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

destdest's review

adventurous emotional mysterious slow-paced

I think it was interesting for a story to play with the constructs of purity in a fantasy world. As usual, only girls’ purity is called into question and the "purest" girls are the most covered with mask adorned with gold or cheaper metals. We see Deka run herself ragged trying to meet her society's standards. She tries to be as devout as she can.

Unfortunately, and understandably, Deka felt like such a sad sack the entire time. She's tortured in brutal ways and abandoned. I wasn't aware that this was a multiracial (why are there so many blonde and blue-eyed ppl? At least make it interesting, blonde and red-eyed?) fantasy world, so I was surprised at Deka being basically a magical biracial girl. On top of the impurity bs, she's isolated from her mom's side of the family and further alienated. With that being said, I fully understand that Deka’s dejectedness is a purposeful progression.

The storytelling felt very slow-moving, and some readers may drop before they see Deka come to terms with herself. But my heart was gladdened once Deka did. I didn’t care about any of side characters, the allies Deka makes, though White Hands immediately piqued my interest. The conversations between Deka and Britta just never hit for me. Very ‘we’re friends because we sit next to each other in class’ vibes. I was indifferent to Keita. But I enjoyed the lady army, the commanders and the soldiers were ruthless.
Spoiler the final fight scene felt so technical. The emperor was acting so hammy.

Because I wasn’t endeared to any of the character, the reading experience was lackluster. I wonder if the author’s screenwriting experience played a part in the execution. Still, creating a fantasy story is no joke!

podanotherjessi's review

adventurous hopeful tense medium-paced

This book was not at all what I expected. It was darker, for one thing, and took very long to get to the hopeful tone the synopsis implied. Unfortunately, there was a point in the middle where it got really predictable, and I was just waiting for the characters to learn what I'd already figured out. Once it got past that, however, it got really good again. Well written characters with complex motivations, interesting story, and great world.
There feels like there's one major plot hole that - if the reader doesn't buy the book's explanation - makes a large portion of the story fall apart. But that was fairly easy to just ignore.
As much as I enjoyed this, I don't think I'll be continuing the series. The end was satisfying and complete, so it doesn't feel necessary to keep going (especially since I'll have to wait for it to be published). Good reviews could draw me back though.

jeanniea's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

Slow for the first half of the book. Then starts to pick up and get more interesting. I appreciate the bonds and loyalty built and treasured between friends. Writing style was on the simpler side. May be more interesting if presented as a movie.

layne_and_literature_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

cmontgomery's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

so good, so many unexpected plot twists, loved the world building. bestie passed out a lot but honestly i’d love a good sleep too. cant wait for the second book. 2022 can not come sooner

anythingforourmoony's review

adventurous dark emotional tense

beckycarter97's review

adventurous medium-paced

ananko's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

allyjshand's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious medium-paced

The young adult novel I needed growing up. Forna creates a fantasy world which is, in some ways, not too different from our own. Through the eyes of the protagonist, Deka, we explore a patriarchy which abuses and controls women, scared of their powers. Forna also ties in issues such as  racism, homophobia and xenophobia within this incredible debut novel. Thus, whilst it is darker than I expected for a YA novel, this only makes The Gilded Ones a more powerful read.

xmaiax's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring mysterious slow-paced