Reviews tagging Slavery

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

ananko's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

thevietvegan's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional fast-paced

It’s extremely violent and graphic. But an interesting world 🤷🏻‍♀️ The pacing is jarring at times, things feel very skipped over, or fast forwarded. The author is a screen writer though, so this makes a lot of sense. Dialogue game strong, plot twist game strong. Ixa is everything haha.

betweentheshelves's review

adventurous medium-paced

There is so much to love about this book! The world felt fresh to me, even if some of the tropes are repeats from other YA fantasies. Deka's voice was strong and really helped to carry the story. Even if the ending was slightly predictable for me, I didn't mind. The plot and the characters really helped to balance that out.

alannah_m's review

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

I would give my heart and soul for Britta, so jot that down.

This book was so compelling that I read it pretty much in one day. The characters were fantastic, and no spoilers but while a little predictable, I loved where the story went. While I’m taking .75 off for pacing, because I felt the ending was a little rushed, overall I really enjoyed this. At first I thought maybe it was a little too happy but, you know what? Why shouldn’t books be happy- especially right now.

plumpaperbacks's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I went into The Gilded Ones expecting a fun fantasy story, and was surprised not only by its heavier themes but also by just how good it was from the very beginning.

This is one of the most unique, immersive stories I’ve read in some time. Forna created a brilliantly intricate world that, despite a few basic similarities to other fictional worlds, is overall unlike any I’ve read about before. The mythology is so vivid it nearly seems real, the creatures and setting so impressively creative, yet none of it is confusing or difficult to understand.

Forna outdid herself writing a complex, diverse and lovable cast of characters. Deka is a protagonist I rooted for as soon as I met her, and it took very little time for me to be equally charmed by her friends, Britta, Belcalis, and Adwapa. These girls have endured so many hardships and gotten stronger because of them, without losing their vulnerability or the best parts of their personalities. Not only were they all great on their own, but their friendship was phenomenal and so heartwarming. One of the best girl squads I’ve ever read about, undeniably.

I would say the romance was one of the best parts, but honestly, every part of this book could be described the same way. The romance is subtle until the final third of the book, when it becomes clear that Deka and Keita have feelings for each other that go beyond friendship. Their slow-burn romance is memorable because it’s written differently than those in so many other books. It’s focused not on passion and lust but a deep connection between two people, a tender, unwavering affection. I love them so much, more than I can express.

Although the ending was emotional in numerous ways, it wasn’t a cliffhanger, and I appreciate that very much. Even without one, I’m extremely eager for the second book. I’ll be eagerly awaiting any scrap of news I can find.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s spectacular in every aspect, and the fact that it’s Forna’s debut novel is mind-blowing. I can definitely see the Deathless trilogy becoming an all-time favorite, since the first book is already there. Highly, highly recommended for those who can handle the content.

Representation
  • Black protagonist
  • side characters of color (includes Black rep)
  • sapphic side characters
  • minor sapphic side romance (f/f)

kuweiyulbo's review

adventurous challenging dark inspiring mysterious fast-paced

adelaidebijou's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark slow-paced

kimi72714's review

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

This book was absolutely incredible and I will sing it's praises to anyone who will listen! This is the book I needed as a teen, and I'm so glad young people will have it read now.

charlottesomewhere's review

adventurous dark hopeful tense medium-paced
I'm absolutely blown away by this brutal but stunning debut. I loved the world, the premise, the characters, the bond between the alaki, the way Deka's story unfolded. This is a definite new favourite.

introvertinterrupted's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced