Reviews tagging Grief

The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

justabookworm's review

adventurous dark emotional tense

kuweiyulbo's review

adventurous challenging dark inspiring mysterious fast-paced

cupidities's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring fast-paced

The Gilded Ones is solid YA fantasy, and it does what (in my opinion) YA fantasy does best: using another world to challenge readers' perspectives on our own world. I can also see why this has gotten as much buzz as it has - the story is excellent, Deka is a strong character, the worldbuilding is awesome - but I never really got emotionally invested in the story.

maggie_atwood's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

dhwani's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

nerdybirdy101's review

challenging emotional medium-paced

*Thanks to NetGalley for the e-ARC.*
This book was fabulous! The writing and the symbolism were done wonderfully! The author is clearly talented and understands how to write a compelling story. If you like fantasy and strong women leads, then you will enjoy this book. My only complaint and why this book received 4.5 out of 5 stars from me is that it seemed like the author rushed some of the dramatic scenes at the end. The ending of this book could have been the final ending of the story and while I did not want a cliffhanger ending, the book had more happily ever after ending than we have problems we need to deal with in the rest of the series. I think I would have rather the action that happened at the end of the book be extended and have the ending be more mysterious where the readers are dying to pick up the next book. I definitely want to continue on with this series, but I am not obsessing over the next book as much as I would have been if the ending would have been a little more open-ended.
So, you should read this book if you like fantasy and feminism! The author is a master at writing and weaving together the plot. There are many content warnings and I suggest you research all your triggers to ensure that you are able to read this. Content warnings include child abuse, sexual abuse, misogyny, and more.

madroxreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark hopeful inspiring tense medium-paced

sophiamreads's review

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced

whatellisreadnext's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful sad fast-paced

"𝘕𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘺 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘢𝘮."

Deka lives in fear of the blood ceremony, that will determine if she is pure. But when the day finally comes, her blood runs gold, the colour of a demon.

After falling in love with this cover over a year ago, and waiting what felt like forever for its release, I think my hopes were just too high. Sometimes I hype a book up so much in my mind, that when it falls a little short, I can't help but feel like it's my fault in a way.

This was a good YA fantasy, that read super quick, and had a really interesting magical system. I just struggled to picture the world, and some of the side characters felt like a bit of an afterthought. Deka on the other hand, was fully fleshed out, and the journey she goes on of growth, as she finds out her history, was what kept me reading.

Another small gripe that probably won't bother too many people, was the kind of pointless romantic arc. This was a story about women, banding together to bring down the patriarchy, so to me the romance felt very out of place and a little forced.

What I did love about The Gilded Ones was the ending, it made the whole read worth it in my eyes. The stakes felt so high, I was flipping the pages like crazy. Even though this book let me down in some aspects of the writing, overall is was a solid read, and after that ending I am dying to get my hands on the next book.

introvertinterrupted's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced