Nothing But Blackened Teeth, by Cassandra Khaw

wambsreads's review against another edition

challenging dark fast-paced

maddddiereadss's review

fast-paced

alexandermayhem's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

marii124's review

dark

geofroggatt's review against another edition

It’s hard to write a novella with a fully fleshed out story and cast of characters. None of the characters in this novella are interesting and they all felt one note. I couldn’t picture their faces. I wasn’t expecting deep and complex characters from a short novella, but I was expecting more than this. I loved the premise. I loved the setting of an abandoned Heian-era mansion in rural Japan. I loved the use of Japanese folklore. The story has plenty of classic horror tropes but the setting and use of Japanese folklore gives the story a fresh feel. The characters also had some decent self-aware horror movie character moments. There isn’t much to say other than I feel like this could have been better fleshed out had it been fully expanded into a novel. I would have loved to have read this story if it had been a full length novel with a tone and story similar to The Grudge.

mrblue's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

alittlehusky's review

dark fast-paced

eldritchscholar's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

milkcatremedies's review

4/5
just a little spooky read. It kicks you in the head a couple times, and leaves you delirious.
Favorite part was the first act, since it builds the tension between the codependent friend group and creates a really juicy dread.
I felt like the pacing was off at parts, though. Moved really fast through certain scenes, and then would slow right down to a near stop. Some of the dialogue, too, was a bit off. I don't know what makes "what the fuckity fucking fuck!" type of cursing work, but I'm not really sure that it does here.
really enjoyed the actual haunted house!! The Ohaguro-bettari is creepy! Excellent gore, like, mwah but with blood all down my chin.
The prose is where this one really shines. Many sentences like warm oozes and such got right under my skin and fingered around my ligaments. Khaw has excellent lines all throughout.
Overall, this one got me in some v specific spots I know I enjoy, but I wouldn't recommend this widely. For those in search of spooky houses, Japanese folklore, and yummy bloated corpses, here's one for you.

twistedriver's review against another edition

dark fast-paced