Flamer, by Mike Curato

gracejin's review against another edition

4.7

samanthapearl's review against another edition

Thank you to Macmillan Children's Publishing and Mike Curato for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

This is one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. The story really grabs you right in the feels. It made me laugh, and then it made me cry, and then it made me smile from the inside out.

Our main character of this story is Aiden. He is chubby, half Asian and just a little bit different. When the story takes place Aiden is at summer camp to enjoy his very last summer before high school. While calling Aiden a complete outcast would be a stretch, he does have his share of bullies to deal with. Throughout the book we watch as Aiden takes a journey of self discovery and learns what it means to accept yourself.

The artwork in this graphic novel is so fitting to the story. The color scheme added that flare and really brought the fire aspect of this book to life.

Overall, I love this book! It was touching. I think it will relate to a lot of tweens/teens who are going through similar situations.

You can find this and all my other reviews at

whitthetwit's review against another edition

I loved this graphic novel. Definitely an important to book to have in a library.

thegranthartley's review against another edition

Simple, but brilliant. The details all beautifully fit together, and the story itself is moving. No doubt that the lives of young kids who feel different will be saved by reading this book.

jannus's review against another edition

Just, wow.
This really hit home.

mandelb's review against another edition

read for 564. so cute!!! so moving!!! absolutely wonderful illustrations, moves at a great pace, and I adore the characters. Aiden is a fantastic protag and really brings you fully into his world; the illustrations really help. and of course I loved Ted ;_; I too remember my first gay person..... wah. and we had a great discussion in class :)

srosen930's review against another edition

Similar vibe to "Magic Fish," but more Americanized and explores different themes around coming out, especially the internalized shame teens feel about not being like their peers.

I found myself connected easily to the main character's experience and the struggles he went through. This book does take a dark turn, but you'll be super glad you read this.

Graphics are truly stunning and great character development.

calet's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

supermanabi's review against another edition

The cover of this book has a quote from Jarrett J. Krosoczka, who wrote Hey, Kiddo. It says, “This book will save lives.” And I have to say, I agree... Read the full review here

alida1993's review against another edition

I recived a copy of this in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book. You follow a boy who is at Boy Scouts Camp the summer before High School. It's a story of finding your identity, being lost, and ulitimaly a coming of age novel. I couldn't put this down. It's also a graphic novel so it was a quick read.