Crooked Kingdom, by Leigh Bardugo

pageroulette's review against another edition

“Brick by brick”

That’s how Leigh Bardugo destroyed me with this duology.

sierranevada005's review against another edition

2nd Read Through- I loved it. No words to express how amazing this book is!

sassykathy12's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

ellejaereads's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

sunray_sunburn's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

** spoiler alert ** I am giving this book a 4.5 but rounded down to 4 because I feel like the story's pacing was a bit weird in some parts and I has trouble getting through some of the middle section.
The way I bawled my eyes out when Matthias dies. I didn't know if was coming and he was my fav character as well. I loved Matthias and Nina's relationship and the character development they both have. They come to such a place of love, understanding, and support in their differences and it is beautiful to read about.
This book is a great blend of suspense, humor, joy, and fantasy. I love how this books starts right when Six of Crows ends.
I cannot wait to watch these characters on the screen again, and if Netflix decides not to kill off Matthias I will be very much ok with that change.

shey22's review against another edition

Me lo he leído muy despacito porque no me lo quería acabar y ahora estoy triste porque me lo he acabado :<

Sigo dudando si quiero más a Wylan o a Jesper, de verdad, mis niños bonitos, ay.

harriet1lily's review against another edition

Such an amazing book, and a good ending, the book was clever that it never let you truly know what would happen next while you would have a rough idea.

ajlawford's review against another edition

REREAD SEP 2019

I did mark this book as DNF, however I’m in a fantasy mood and thought I’d give it another go. Only because I really want to read King Of Scars and felt I at least needed to finish Crooked Kingdom first so that I would know about any cross book references. I made a deal with myself that I don’t have to love Crooked Kingdom, I just need finish it. I’m glad I persevered because Nicholai, Zoya and Genya not only are mentioned, but they actually make an appearance and affect the plot. I had no idea they would be in it. I’d heard you didn’t need to read the Grisha Trilogy first prior to reading the Six of Crows Duology because there are only loose references back the the original trilogy. However I disagree now. I think it’s important to read the entire Grishaverse in publication order prior to reading King of Scars because the three main characters from King of Scars are in all the other books.

Six of Crows had a purpose that drove the plot forward, albeit at glacial speed. Crooked Kingdom meanders even more. Most of the time I had no idea what the characters were working forwards. I really fail to see the appeal of this Duology. I had heard that you either love the Grisha Trilogy or the Six of Crows Duology, but not both. I totally agree. The Grisha Trilogy is among my favorite series of all time.

I enjoyed getting to know Waylan more in this book. In Six of Crows he was a passive character but in this one is more of an active character. I still have zero feels for Jasper and Nina. Inej is my bae, Kaz I find mildly entertaining and the only think I like about Mattais is how deep his Narrators voice is. Clearly I’m not in love with the characters which is really the only drawcard for this story.

————
JUL 2019

DNF @ 29%. So sad to give up on this one. I’ve been trying for a long time and I’ve tried print and audio and it’s just not happening for me. Six of Crows was a two star read and I hoped this one would pickup. So many people love this book so hard and I just don’t. The Grisha Trilogy is my one true love but this duology really isn’t working. I’m so throughly confused because I’m reading without absorbing just so I can what, get the main plot points so I know what people are on about? Why? Why am I forcing myself?? I’m also sad because I guess this means I can’t read King of Scars and I was keen to get back to Nicolai :-(

sofiabell06's review against another edition

slow-paced

I don't like Leigh bardugo's writing it's difficult to read and comprehend. I didn't like the world either it was not something I vibed with. The found family was nice but everything else in the book just made it pointless.

belebee's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense fast-paced