The Switch, by Beth O'Leary

ayanna8's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

tbookramos's review against another edition

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... and I don’t just mean the carnal kind. I mean the sweet, find the good in life kind of love. I loved these characters so much, even when Leena was a bit whiny. Can’t we all get a little whiny in the face of grief? This is just a fun book despite its premise and I would highly recommend it. I rank it higher than Flatshare, which I liked but wouldn’t recommend nearly the way I would this one.

sgeron's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

bimssy09's review against another edition

This is the first Beth O’Leary book I’ve read & I absolutely loved it.
It took a while to get into it, but once I’d got past the half way mark I just wanted to keep reading. I’ll definitely be reading more from this author!

jessicaatinaa's review against another edition

I was so pleasantly surprised by The Switch! I picked it up as a "blind date with a book" from my local library. A valentines special in February where a book is wrapped up with a small clue on it as to what's its about. I expected a super sappy romance story, and don't get me wrong, there were great aspects to it on that front. But it was so much MORE than that. This was a story of finding yourself. This is a story of grief and family relationships. This is a story of friendships and community and love. I really enjoyed this one and had so much fun with all the characters.

lesliejerkins's review against another edition

Not as good as the Flatshare but those pages still turned.

kinga1204's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

xkay_readsx's review against another edition

This is my first Beth O'Leary book and I really enjoyed it. "The Switch" is a rom-com with two main characters granddaughter and grandmother perspectives. I LOVE grandma's chapters. The narrator, Alison Steadman was marvelous!

I was literally laughing out loud as grandmother Eileen is in charge of the Neighborhood Watch meetings "since we're not technically a neighborhood watch, just people who like watching our neighbors, there's no need to stick to any rules and regulations."

marlozoe's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

zarafray4's review against another edition

Thank you Netgalley and MacMillan Audio for allowing me to review this beautiful story.

The Switch by Beth O'Leary is a charming story about a granddaughter and grandmother who switch places. After the loss of her sister, Leena was having trouble coping. She is put on a two month sabbatical, in which she decides to go visit her grandmother, Eileen. Eileen, who is almost eighty, is feeling very lonely after her husband leaves her. Eileen, decides to look for love in London, while Leena throws herself into her grandmother's responsibilities in her village. They both soon find themselves, healing, and love.

This is a story jumps between the perspectives of grandmother and granddaughter, and has elements of loss, healing, love, family and community. My favorite element was the strong show of community. Eileen brings together the people of Leena's apartment building, and they embrace her and what she is trying to accomplish. Things were a big tougher for Leena, as she had to try and change the minds of the elderly community that were very stuck in their ways. In the end, it showed how tight knit that community was, and how they care for their own.

As I listened to the audio book, I want to add that I really enjoyed the duel narrations of the story. The two narrators did a fantastic job making it feel like I was sitting in a room, while they were telling their story to me.

The one thing that I would say is, the story did seem to go rather slowly at times. In some moments, it would drag on a bit. I also felt like it could have concluded a bit sooner than it did.

All in all, this is was a lovely, sweet, and endearing story that I enjoyed. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys charming, witty, and uplifting stories. I look forward to reading other novels that this author has to offer.